Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Im lost  (Read 1948 times)

Offline srich83

• Brood
Im lost
« on: April 05, 2010, 02:03:29 pm »
Im starting to research beekeeping. I really want to start next spring. Ive been doing online research but I have more questions than answers. I know once I get started it will be easy, I just have to get started.

I live in northern nevada what kind of bees should I start with? how much honey can I take from my bees? (if I have four supers how many of those can I harvest for myself?) My yard is all rock, will they be okay with just the nectar? when do I add another brood box and honey supers? do I have to support it in high winds? should I put them in a shed for the winter? how do I prevent them from leaving? why shouldnt I use gloves most of the time? what is the basic hive to start with (stand, brood box, feeder, then add as they get established?)?  does anyone know a good book so I dont have to bother people? :P oh, when I get the honey out do I clean the wax off the frame or do I just put it back for them to refill?

Thank you

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Im lost
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 02:13:17 pm »
beekeeping for dummies is good.  go to your library and see what they have.

most of your questions are probably answered on here.  you can search for specific things.

is there a beekeeping group, club, etc. near you?  join and learn.

is there a beekeeper around you who would help you with some hands on  work?

who says you shouldn't wear gloves?  i do   :-D
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 02:37:18 pm »
Whew!  I remember those days when every questions spawned about 10 other questions!

Check the local library, they will occasionally have bee books, then you can decide too if it is worth getting.

I agree, get in the club, find a local beekeeper.  It will answer a lot of your questions to just get in a hive with somebody who's experienced.  The internet forums are great, but usually (at least for me) will cause more confusion before you have less confusion, as there are many answers for each question.

To demonstrate how confusing, I will attempt to give somewhat simple answers to some of your questions...
I live in northern nevada what kind of bees should I start with? Italians are the most common overall for a good reason, but the others have good traits too
how much honey can I take from my bees? (if I have four supers how many of those can I harvest for myself?) That depends on weather, local flora, etc
My yard is all rock, will they be okay with just the nectar? Yes, they'll travel for pollen and nectar
when do I add another brood box and honey supers? Whenever they need it
do I have to support it in high winds? Probably if it is too high
should I put them in a shed for the winter? No
how do I prevent them from leaving? You don't, they stay because that is home.  but they might swarm, that is a whole 'nother topic
why shouldnt I use gloves most of the time? Do what you are comfortable with, gloves/no gloves doesn't matter much, I started out wearing gloves all the time, and after 5 years am starting to go without
what is the basic hive to start with (stand, brood box, feeder, then add as they get established?)? inner cover, outer cover, bottom board,frames 
does anyone know a good book so I dont have to bother people? What Kathy said, or check the library to see what is there,
when I get the honey out do I clean the wax off the frame or do I just put it back for them to refill? That depends how you extract, but basically yes you just put it back
Rick

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 07:21:41 pm »
G'day Srich, nice to meet you and welcome to the forums...

I too was/am in a similar situation to you... so many questions, so many answers... and then you get an answer that conflicts with another one that you have heard so it leaves you wondering...

So i started up my hive just over a week and a half ago... based on what i have experienced so far i would recommend the following:

1) Buy an already operating hive from an experienced beek in your area - when you do this specify that you're a newbie and you're looking for a quiet, docile and easy to manage hive - most beeks are more than happy to answer questions and doing this in person is so helpful!
2) Buy minimum of a veil, jacket, gloves, smoker, hive tool. The only reason i say buy a jacket too is because it gives you an additional degree of security which calms your nerves - bees can tell if you're nervous. If you want the ultimate spend the money and buy a full suit
3) Take it one step at a time... get a good book, research how to manage a hive and most importantly learn as you go. But do this while you're interacting with your hive... you can learn so much just by sitting there and watching the hive

I have been doing a heap of research, looking at pictures, asking questions... but i must say i learnt more than i have through all of the theoretical research just by opening the hive, looking at the eggs, pupa, capped brood, honey stores and pollen stores and interacting with the bees. I was fortunate enough to buy an established incredibly docile hive so they're very forgiving. You will make mistakes along the way and that's where we're here to hold your hand and guide you through it. By starting with an excellent foundation you will have an excellent start and hive moving forward.

All the best

P.S: If you're looking for a partciular strain of bee try a carniolan - that's what i have and i love it (mine is actually carniolan X italian). But each beek will probably find different strains that work for them - some have probaly had a carniolan that is the most aggressive thing ever - if that's the case it smetimes comes down to genetics - get a new queen and replace your aggressive one

anything