Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Of hive glue and stain  (Read 3076 times)

Offline thomashton

• House Bee
Of hive glue and stain
« on: March 21, 2006, 11:52:47 am »
This weekend I am putting together my first hives. This may be a minor question, but what is the best glue to use? I have read everything from boat glue to just plain old outdoor wood glue. Does anyone have preferences?

Also, my wife would prefer I stain the hives instead of painting them. Without regard to colour, is there a stain that is best to use? Would just a plain old wood sealer be fine or should I stain and seal it?

Thanks.
After 18 months of reading and preparation, my girls finally arrived on April 11th (2006)!

Offline CraigW

• House Bee
  • Thunder Rolls
Of hive glue and stain
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2006, 01:48:46 pm »
I used regular outdoor wood glue. As far as paint or stain www.mannlakeltd.com has paint and stain, you can read about theirs and get it locally or order it from them.

Craig
Have a great Day and Thanks!

Offline Chad S

• House Bee
Of hive glue and stain
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2006, 04:47:46 pm »
I wood  :lol:  use the waterproof/out door glue as well.  Just a pointer on glue and stain.  Try not to get the glue on the wood that is going to be stained it can affect the coloration.  Also if you are going to sand the boxes.  Don't sand the galvinization off of the nail heads the nails will rust and bleed allover your stain job.  Of course the galvinization might stain your stain job as well.  If you want a perfect job, and money is no object there is always stainless steal nails.  Have fun.

Chad

Offline Virginia Beekeeper

• New Bee
To paint or not to paint
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2006, 05:28:52 pm »
I prefer Titebond premium out door wood glue, it is available at any building supply.
  I always like the look of a natural finish, using minwax out door polyurethane. The natural finish allows the joints to show up better, it gives the wood a nice clean look. I use 2 coats and I do sand the wood before I apply the finish. You might consider using deck screws instead of nails it is well worth the time. I have found that wax moths are some what more attracted to white, thats another reason I prefer the natural finish.

Offline amymcg

• Field Bee
    • http://www.mcglothlinmusic.com
Of hive glue and stain
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2006, 06:13:01 pm »
I also use titebond outdoor glue. Works nicely.  It can be cement like when dry.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Of hive glue and stain
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2006, 06:34:59 pm »
I use titebond or elmers exterior wood glue also.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Apis629

• Field Bee
    • A Hobbyist's Beekeeping Adventures
Of hive glue and stain
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2006, 07:32:02 pm »
I have to say, elmer's has worked best for me.  I'm not entirely sure what the UV rays are like where you are but, down here, if any plastic/polyurithain isn't UV resistant it bleaches and becomes brittle in just a few months.  I've always gone with paint given that won't break down like a clear coat.   Just my 2 cents...

Offline thomashton

• House Bee
Of hive glue and stain
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2006, 07:36:19 pm »
Thanks guys. I will probably use Titebond or Elmers then (outdoor of course). I appreciate all of the help. I usually just lurk here, but originally joined a year-and-a-half ago while I was in Iraq on deployment. While I was there, this community really took me under it's wing and made me feel welcome. I finally will be living that dream I had out in the hot Baghdad sun and my two packages of Italians arrive on April 22nd!
After 18 months of reading and preparation, my girls finally arrived on April 11th (2006)!

Offline Virginia Beekeeper

• New Bee
Of hive glue and stain
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2006, 08:09:53 pm »
Glad you are home safe Thanks For Your Servive. Best of luck with your bees I know you will love beekeeping, it gets in your blood.

Bill
The best teachers are the bees themselves. Watch your bees!

Offline mountain mike

• New Bee
don't
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2006, 10:32:19 pm »
i dont paint mine.
 bees like wood, not chemicals. hive boxes are basic carpentry. you dont even have to dovetail your joints(unless your anal or just like to do it) mine last a long time without painting and i like the natural look.

mm.
mlb

anything