Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Heat gun uncapping  (Read 7240 times)

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
Heat gun uncapping
« on: May 25, 2013, 12:14:52 pm »
Anyone perfect this yet.   Tried it yesterday.  First 2 frames went great.
After that the wax seemed to want to reseal the honey
After melting.   
The first 2 worked great.  Then it sucked. 
Anyone have the process fine tuned?
Bailey
most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.

Offline don2

• Doak
  • Field Bee
Re: Heat gun uncapping
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2013, 12:46:28 pm »
I saw the video but haven't tried it. looks cool to me. :) d2

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2013, 01:02:22 pm »
is there any advantage over an electric uncapping knife?

Offline don2

• Doak
  • Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2013, 02:00:49 pm »
No capping s to work with. :) d2

Moots

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2013, 02:08:10 pm »
Can't watch it at the moment, but here's someone on YouTube doing it. May or may not be helpful.

Uncapping Video Link!

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2013, 02:20:58 pm »
My electrict knife went broken and I used heat gun in uncapping.
It gove so bad melted wax aroma to the honey that never again. I bought two new electrict knife as fast as possible.

Same happens if  uncapping knife is too hot. If the knife run so hot that blade burnsblack, it gives aroma of melted wax to honey

Language barrier NOT included

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2013, 02:34:22 pm »
I tried a heat gun last year and found that it was burning the honey (on the surface) as soon as it would melt the wax. It wasn't as bad on fresh white comb but anything that has had brood went poorly. Gave up after just a few frames.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2013, 02:53:22 pm »
In the last extracting in autumn combs are usually half filled
if cells are not full of honey,  gun melts away cell walls.

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2013, 02:58:51 pm »
Ok.  $40 down the crapper. 
Bailey.
most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2013, 04:06:19 pm »
.t
5 kg honey that 40 dollar. Real saving, but spoils the yield.

Offline duck

• House Bee
    • Big Thicket Bees
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2013, 09:19:51 pm »
bailey, i can tell by your avatar you have a filet knife.. ive found it works real well.

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2013, 12:15:05 am »
That's what I currently use. Single blade from an electric fillet knife . I burned up the original electric handle
By uncapping with it. Prettiest decamping I ever saw. Right up to the time where the handle part burned up.  That was after ummm yeah that's right.  2 frames.  That was. The second one I burned up within a few frames uncapping. 
If you know of an electric that will stand up to extraction I would gladly give it a shot.  Loved how it worked.
Just too short.  :-X

The one I have is Mounted on a handle of deer horn.  Works great.  Just wanted to get around the idea of dealing with wet
Cappings.
Bailey

Offline Elbill

• New Bee
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2013, 10:22:33 am »
I got tired of replacing electric " thermostatically"  controlled knives which could not be repaired , at least the ones I used. I use a transformer on the cappings knife now and use it to keep the knife from overheating. Once it is set- you are good.

Offline duck

• House Bee
    • Big Thicket Bees
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2013, 11:44:21 am »
My real job consists of studying, collecting data, otoliths, and dna samples from fish.  I filet alot of fish after Im done with sampling.  Ive had good luck with the Academy house brand electric knives.  They have a rechargeable one that when it wears out, they will exchange it no problem.  Of course the good old dexter has never failed me.  There is also a store that sells dexter knockoffs called Kitchen Concepts.  They have some really nice stuff.

Offline rober

• Field Bee
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2013, 12:18:30 pm »
last year in the produce dept the local grocery was selling a watermelon slicing knife that was real similar to the decapping knives sold by beekeeping suppliers. i kept pan of water on a single burner hot plate & kept the knife in the water while i spun frames. worked great. the knife was $5.00 & was later marked down to $2.50. people i know who use the electric knives say they have a 2-3 year life-span. a heat gun seems like it would do a lot of damage to the comb.

Offline gov1623

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2013, 12:00:02 pm »
I use a standard 12'' fillet knife and I love it. I bought an electric uncapping knife last year and after two supper I went back to my fillet knife.  The fillet knife slices right through the cappings almost effortlessly. I know a lot of people use electric uncapping knifes but I just don't see the point of them.
Who Dat!!!

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2013, 01:17:02 pm »
Gov. I know what you mean about those knives.
Hate them.

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2013, 01:29:45 pm »
I bought a new electrict knife and I cannot move the thermostat like in old knife.

i noticed that that new knife works fine if the combs are warmed to 35C . I have a warming kabinet.
If comp temp is 20-25C, knife is really slow.

My oldf hive was so hot that it gove a little bit aroma of melted wax to the honey.
New knife does not do that-

The preheating of combs is very important. Same with room temperature if you can regukate it. Last ayutumn I made an insulated extracting room where I can regulate temperature.

Offline woodchopper

• House Bee
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2013, 04:49:53 pm »
We bought a electric uncapping knife when we first started out 8 years ago. Used it that first year and then tried a cold knife which we liked MUCH better.
 Sold the electric knife after we figured out it could kill enzymes in the honey if it was set too high. We try to not use heat of any kind while harvesting or bottling our honey. 
Every man looks at his wood pile with a kind of affection- Thoreau

Offline Nico

• House Bee
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2013, 07:53:49 pm »
Hi All,
Is there any advantage of electric heated over steam heated decapping knives?
I made a steam knife from a piece of 2mm/ .09" stainless flat steel and soldered 3/8" copper pipe to it using lead free solder, I fitted a wooden handle ,it seems to work fine.
The steam provider is a 10Lb refrigerant cylinder, valve removed and a piece of flat steel over valve port to create some pressure, I drilled and fitted a 3/8 copper pipe outlet to supply the steam to the knife.
Nico