Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Glow plugs  (Read 14033 times)

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
Glow plugs
« on: July 27, 2010, 07:33:39 pm »
Does anyone know if diesel glow plugs need to have the current regulated or can you run them straight off a battery?

I made a new oxalic acid vaporizer and used a glow plug as the heat source. I've been using something that I made out of brass/copper plumbing parts and heat with a torch. It works well but take 3-4mins per hive. I'm trying to come up with something that I can run off the truck battery or possibly a small generator that would handle 60 or more hives in a yard.

The glow plug worked great for 3-4 tests but I think I killed it with too much amperage or voltage. I know they're not meant to be active more than a minute or so and I kept my tests to 30 secs. Any diesel mechanics out there?

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
Re: Glow plugs
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 08:50:39 pm »
All of the ones I have ever fooled with run straight off of the battery. Most use a heavy duty solenoid for the switch. That is why most diesels have two batteries.
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 09:47:09 pm »
All are not 12 volt. My Isuzu glow plugs are 5v. My Mercedes is 12v. They will burn out if heated for long periods dry. Liquid passing over them will keep them from overheating. The temperature of the liquid can be controlled by using a thermostat in line to cycle the glow plug on and off as needed.

I run my diesels on vegetable oil and Mercedes glow plugs are often used to heat the vegetable oil to lower it's viscosity.

Steve   

Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline beee farmer

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 11:49:34 pm »
Each glow plug is rated for a specific voltage controlled by installation of a resistor installed between the power source and the glow plug.  I maintain several diffrent types of commercial generators and most of them have diffrent types of glow plug ratings.  On a ford diesel the engine will not run correctly without the glow plus working, wiring harness and controller active.  With the Dodge cummings the glow plugs are only necessary in sub freezing condtions for starting.  
"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do"  Benjamin Franklin

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 12:40:07 am »
ford 7.3 will start and run just fine with the glow plugs disabled, just hard to start in freezing temps.
trust me on that one.
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 09:53:35 am »
my Heilyser vaporizer uses a VW glow plug that is run direct to 12 volt.   I think it was Robo that had the VW model #.  It takes 2 min per hive.   I have 20ft of lamp cord with battery clamps and use my truck for most but the ones that I cant reach I use a small  motorcycle battery

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2010, 01:26:30 am »
Thanks everyone! Danno, that's what I was looking for...maybe robo will chime in with a part#? Rob?

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2012, 04:01:36 pm »
Old post, but where are you guys connecting your ground wire?

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2012, 04:13:38 pm »
the ground is connected to the frame of the case of my OA burner the handle.  The hot wire connects to the single pole at the back of the plug

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2012, 04:20:20 pm »
the ground is connected to the frame of the case of my OA burner the handle.  The hot wire connects to the single pole at the back of the plug

Thankye sir

Offline Sour Kraut

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2012, 07:42:59 pm »
A glow plug that is not 'heat-sinked' to an engine cylinder head, and run continuously, will self destruct from over-temp

You need some kind of honking large metal plate to screw it into, and a timer to cycle it

Good info here:

http://www.justanswer.com/ford/61pky-ford-f-250-super-duty-xlt-1996-ford-f-250-diesel-controls.html

Offline loumaro

• New Bee
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2012, 09:27:48 pm »
I used the heating element from an old electric coffee pot, but that is 110vac so that wouldn't
help for a 12 vdc system. Just a thought.
Louie

Offline Lazy W

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2012, 11:43:12 pm »
you could get a coffee pot out of the camping section. They would be 12v. I don't think the glow plug is going to last too long.

Offline saperica

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2012, 05:03:59 am »
http://pcelinjak.hr/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=100&sid=0f157d910d24ae34cc75bf63be2ae0f4

greatings from zagreb, croatia.
here in forum of my beekeepers assotiation i post some of blueprints for DIY Oxalic Acid Vaporizers.

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2012, 07:47:40 am »
Here ya go, Autolite# 1104. Fits 85-87 Golf, 90-91 Jetta.

Offline DoctorZ

• New Bee
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2012, 08:29:31 am »
Mr. Hardwood: just discovered your post. Was your glow plug based oxidizer a success? Is it easier to use that the pipe model and worth building? I use a pipe OA oxidizer and am thinking about building a glow plug one. Any advice?

Thanks,

George
Hoover: The man, the dam, the vacuum.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2012, 10:29:33 am »
George, I ended up making two different prototypes and both worked about the same. They vaporized the O.A. just fine but took too long to do so (3-4mins each). I kept shaving more and more of the mass down on one of them until it would complete the job in just over 2 mins but even that is too long for my needs. The pipe style with propane torch takes less than a minute so I've stuck with that for now.

I've tabled the project for the last year now due to a house fire but will be starting it up again once we're in our new home in the next few months.

Scott

Theodore Roosevelt 1907