Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: old timer  (Read 3333 times)

Offline Old Timer

• House Bee
old timer
« on: July 13, 2007, 08:33:06 pm »
hello everyone. my family got me a computer for my 84th birthday and showed me how to use it. i don't hardly know anything about it so i'm still learning. my great grand daughter is the one teaching me how to use this thing, she's helping me right now. i'm really fascinated by this internet thing. i'd be doing better if my eyes weren't so bad. anyway i found this on here and thought it would be fun to do and see if i couldn't learn something before i die. i used to help my dad with with his bees when i was a child and have always been around and kept bees. so i guess in my 84 years of life i probably have about 70 years actual experience keeping bees. i can remember when i used to be able to throw those full supers around like it was nothin, not anymore. but i still have 11 hives. ok, i just thought i should introduce myself and god bless you.

old timer

Offline Moonshae

• Field Bee
Re: old timer
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2007, 09:30:19 pm »
Welcome! As long as you're willing to learn, it's never too late to start using a computer!

With 70 years of experience, I'm sure you'll be able to teach us a trick or two. I know I've been learning tons in these past few months I've been here.

If you need some help seeing, ask your young helper to lower the resolution of your monitor...that will make things appear larger on the screen.

"The mouth of a perfectly contented man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb, 2200 BC

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2007, 10:12:24 pm »
hi and welcome.  the older i get, the younger 84 seems.  i hope i will still have the desire and will to try new things as i get older!  please jump in and share what you know.  many of us are finding that the old ways really were better, and we need to relearn things that have been tossed aside.

and the seeing thing....you can make the print bigger.  if you are using XP you can make print bigger and smaller just by holding down the shift key and rolling the wheel (if you have one) on your mouse. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2007, 10:16:18 pm »
Hi Old Timer:

I'm so glad your family introduced you to the computer age :)

Also, I'm not only sure you will learn more about beekeeping, BUT also have plenty to share. This is one place where we all learn from ALL EXPERIENCES others have had, and we gain knowledge by brainstorming from the content in these posts.

I hope your great grand daughter helps you get into our VOICE CHAT too! It is simple to use, lots of fun actually talking live to others and we have an active and lively bunch there who enjoy beekeeping talk, but really thrive on building friendships.

Welcome aboard again, I'm very happy you found our site :)

P.S. http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php?topic=5880.0 is the link to installing Ventrilo Voice Chat :)
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2007, 12:53:06 am »
Welcome Old timer!!
I'm sure you have much you could share!Does your children or grand children ,oh heck even great grandchildren share an interest in bees?
It's wonderful to have a great grandchild explore the  internet together I'll bet!

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2007, 10:13:56 am »
Welcome to our site oldtimer, my grandfather on my mother's side always told me to respect my elders, and to listen to their advice, because they have lived many more moons. I have heeded this advice and it is always a pleasure to talk with someone who has history to share. Now I didn't mean to put you on the spot, but please feel welcome to share your stories and advice with us, we are listening, and we are for the most part if not all, it seems, a friendly bunch. Welcome! :)
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2007, 10:34:48 am »
Hello Old Timer!

How fantstic that you are venturing into the cyber realm!  You will love the computer world, it is like a huge giant library at your fingertips.

70 years of bee experience, wow I don't even have 7 months, can't wait to hearwhat pearls of wisdom you have!

Take Care,  Sharon

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2007, 12:25:29 pm »
Welcome aboard.

I hope you don't find the internet and computer thing to intimidating it can be like learning to drive a car the first time. You stall a lot before you actually go anywhere and that can certainly be frustrating.

You wisdom on beekeeping will be greatly appreciated here.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2007, 12:13:04 am »
Welcome Old timer!!
maybe you can teach or learn here but glad to have you in the forum!!!!!
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic