Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hi from Australia  (Read 2239 times)

Offline seabeez

• New Bee
Hi from Australia
« on: March 24, 2009, 12:12:00 am »
Hi All
Ive just begun my first steps on "the path" and am madly reading everything i can lay my hands on regarding beekeeping. I live in the town of Weipa in far north Queensland Australia only 300klm from the northenmost point of the country.

I think im pretty lucky in that the area is pretty isolated with no towns over 3-400 people for nearly 800klms , and for up to 4-5 months of the year you cant drive in due to our "wet season" so the area outside of town is pretty much pristine natural bushland(forest to you folk). We also have Vast areas (30,000 + hectares) of mangrove forest with a mix of species that provide nectar flow all year(cant wait to try some mangrove honey).

I work in what is one of the worlds biggest Bauxite(raw material for alumina) mines based in Weipa . I enjoy organic (permaculture pricipals) gardening, Aquaponics,fishing , and learning new but practical things.

Weve just sold our house and are having a 50 foot catamaran built to live on board and travel in with the wife and two kids. as weve had to give up the garden and the aquaponics, weve decided now is a good time to get into beekeeping as its been on the to-do list for a sustainable lifestyle for a while.

I even have this vague idea of a good low impact sustainable recession proof buisness in the future (people will always want honey), tending the hives from the water along our deserted coast line and riversystems and then once or twice yearly sailing the product down to the larger population centers for sale/trade in the local farmers markets , i dont think you could get a more "guaranteed" organic product given thereis no agriculture for nearly 800klms in any direction and no pesticide or herbicide use.

Lately ive had this mental fantasy picture of sitting back on the boat after a hard day of working the hives with my "apprentices" (my two young boys ) sipping on a nice jug of mead while watching the sun set on the water.

Cant wait to get started.
Ps there is lots of info on beekeeping in temperate climates but not much on the tropics as such , any info on this would be great. Our summer temps get up to 38oc in the day and mid 20's at night, winter 28-29 during the day , down to a chilly 18oc at night.

Cheers Tim     

Offline Geoff

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
Re: Hi from Australia
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 05:18:40 am »
       Welcome to the Aussie connection Seabeez. It does not matter what climate zone your in someone will come up with the answers.
        The Ventrilo and Chat sections will generally get you a quick answer. Hope the setup at Weipa can provide a broadband service for you.

Good Luck,
                Geoff.
Local Area Network in Australia - the LAN down under.

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 08:37:10 am »
Tim,
Nice intro. I'm sure a few after reading that will be daydreaming.  :-D

Welcome to the site.
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline 1reb

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2009, 10:29:54 am »
Hello and Welcome Tim
There is alot of great information on the forum !!
The members here are willing help and answer your questions, all you need to do is to ask
Johnny 

Offline vermmy35

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2009, 07:01:22 pm »
hello seabeez :)
Semper Fi to all my brothers out there
http://gettingbacktocountryliving.blogspot.com/

Offline Cockatoo

• House Bee
  • Sailing on silver wings
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2009, 09:02:26 pm »
Australia.
Man we want to visit there.
And see all the Cockies in the wild!  :-D

Offline SlickMick

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2009, 04:13:48 am »

G'day Tim from Brisbane, the capital city of the Sunshine State.

Nice to have another Aussie on board. There are quite a few of us if you have a look around.

Have been to Weipa a couple of times, the last time to have a day fishing. Caught the biggest fish of my life. A monster cod that I had to hold across my chest with 2 arms. Took half an hour to get him in the boat. Boy was that fun. And then we returned him to the deep  :)

Well your beekeeping is certainly going to be unique.. no doubt you will have fun doing it. I dont know how long the mangroves flower for but any blossom a mile from the water's edge should be fair game.

As for mead... yum ;)

Mick

Offline seabeez

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2009, 11:15:28 am »
Thanks for the welcome all, i will be cruising round the site and will try to get started with some bees asap.

Cheers Tim

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2009, 07:41:39 pm »
Tim, welcome to our forum, and what a lovely introduction.  As Bjornbee said, some of us will be dreamin'.  And I am one....your lifestyle choice is something that many would love to live, beautiful....As you gain knowledge of how to beekeep in your area, you will find out how beautiful the life of the honeybee and everything that goes with it is.  Stick around.  This will be a place where you can meet new friends (we have several Australian members), a place to ask questions, get help, a place to tell your stories, tales and experiences (and they don't have to all be related to bees, smiling, we love to dream....and be taken to places in our mind's eye).  Have a most wonderful and awesome day, lovin' and livin' this great life we all share and love, health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

anything