Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: can't show but I can tell  (Read 4272 times)

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
can't show but I can tell
« on: June 07, 2005, 10:23:26 pm »
I posted this one but it never did post as for as I can tell. So here goes again. Checked both hives today, it's been a week since last time I opened the hives but that was looking to see if the queens had been released. Well !!! I am impressed with what I saw. Please first understand that I am a greenhorn when it comes to knowing what to look for but I've been viewing this site & from what I've gathered my bees are doing pretty darn good!! Both hives are doing well, both queens are laying, saw eggs & brood. ( 5 of 10 frames have been worked in each hive) Question, the queen lays an egg in a cell & it is filled with pollen & sugarwater or nectar, beebread? Cause I saw a decent bit of cells with pollen in them.

Question #2, when 8 of 10 frames are capped or combed do I add my next hive body? Does it matter if all the cells are capped of the 8 or do they simply need evidence that they've been filled with comb? Hope this makes sense.
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2005, 10:29:59 pm »
I meant frames filled with comb not cells.
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline thegolfpsycho

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2005, 10:41:11 pm »
Most frames end up from top to bottom, nectar or honey, pollen, and brood.  The bees don't pack a cell with an egg in it full of pollen.  The developing bee needs the whole cell before it emerges.  The outside frames typically become capped honey with little or no brood.  IF they are heavy pollen gatherers, you may find much more pollen in the brood nest also.

As far as adding another hive body, if they are covering 7 or 8 frames, I would add the box. Keep giving them space as they need it.  Eventually, you'll build up a bank of drawn comb.  Then you can really see them pack the honey away.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2005, 11:27:52 pm »
golfpsycho & anyone else when you said "covering the frames", did you mean them being capped or just simply worked before I add second body?

Offline thegolfpsycho

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2005, 12:05:04 am »
I mean bees covering the frames.  When they start making explosive growth, nectar is coming in, and the queen needs room, they start festooning in huge numbers, making wax.  The colony can really expand when these elements all come together.  

An example of this is one of the packages I started this year.  They seemed way behind all the others.  I finally decided I better get in there and see what was happening.  I was almost too late.  I added the super, and 7 frames were completely drawn with the queen laying  upstairs in a matter of days.  They caught up rather quickly.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2005, 11:08:08 am »
>Question, the queen lays an egg in a cell & it is filled with pollen & sugarwater or nectar, beebread?

No she won't.

>Cause I saw a decent bit of cells with pollen in them.

That's for food for the brood.  Did you see eggs in the pollen?  Singles?  Doubles?  Lots?
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2005, 05:11:01 pm »
didn't notice & didn't really look to see if they had eggs or larvae in the cells with pollen. I just assumed either she doesn't deposit an egg in a cell with pollen or she did & then pollen was added on top the egg.

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2005, 05:45:40 pm »
May I say JP, your body language in your portrait  is awfull   :P

Offline Jay

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2005, 07:51:49 pm »
May I say Finman, I think that is the most perfectly formed and punctuated English sentance I have ever seen you type! I think you're just trying to fool us all with the broken English thing! You're really a gorgeous, blonde, computer programmer who lives in Jersy, right!?! :lol:
By the rude bridge that arched the flood
Their flag to Aprils breeze unfurled
Here once the embattled farmers stood
And fired the shot heard round the world
-Emerson

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2005, 12:57:16 am »
Quote from: Jay
May I say Finman, I think that is the most perfectly formed and punctuated English sentance I have ever seen you type! I think you're just trying to fool us all with the broken English thing! You're really a gorgeous, blonde, computer programmer who lives in Jersy, right!?! :lol:

Near by, near by  :)

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2005, 08:45:09 am »
Finsky,
May I say that I am very open & very proud of my portrait as you say. I'm assuming you're commenting on my avatar. I f not I am confused. If only you could give us some clues as to what image you may want to represent, there are no images or info regarding your profile. If not I will keep thinking wonderfully mysterious thoughts about finsky. Are you a fish?

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2005, 09:17:33 am »
Quote from: JP
Finsky,
May I say that I am very open & very proud of my portrait as you say. I'm assuming you're commenting on my avatar. I f not I am confused. If only you could give us some clues as to what image you may want to represent, there are no images or info regarding your profile. If not I will keep thinking wonderfully mysterious thoughts about finsky. Are you a fish?

Thank you Sir

I am a fish in horoscope

Here is my picture

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2005, 09:48:40 am »
doesn't that feel better finsky.

Offline Jay

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2005, 05:18:56 pm »
Finman,
It's good to see your origional avitar back! That one was always my favorite! Did you ever tell us how you did that? Did you tie a queen around your neck in a cage? :D
By the rude bridge that arched the flood
Their flag to Aprils breeze unfurled
Here once the embattled farmers stood
And fired the shot heard round the world
-Emerson