Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Dirty Frames  (Read 1257 times)

Offline Pond Creek Farm

• Field Bee
Dirty Frames
« on: September 24, 2008, 11:17:53 pm »
I have learned much this year, but wanted to pass along some observations from my recent combine.  I had a devastating flood that darned near wiped out the apiary.  I managed to reconstruct hives, but in retrospect did a poor job.  I did a combine over the weekend and found that the hive I thought was strong was incredibly weak. It experienced the flood, and many frames had silt on the foundation (mostly PF-100). In the heat of the recovery, this was hard to know as I rescued many frames floating with bees in back waters of the flood.  They managed to salvage a queen and stay alive thought the summer, but they never build on dirty foundation.  They did build some comb over the dirt and built a bee space between the frame and the comb, but little comb was used this way.   I could not locate the queen in either of the hives I combined, despite having both open for over 30 minutes.  Ultimately I sprayed them all with sugar syrup, put both hives together while taking out the flood affected frames, and hoped for the best in the battle of the queens that I knew would ensue.  I feel like I failed, but I saw no options.  Without a combine, both would die.  I can only hope that my first combine doesnot wind up with two dead queens.  I will absolutely re-queen next spring should this hive survive.   
Brian

Offline gottabee

• House Bee
  • Excuse me, I believe you have my stapler.
Re: Dirty Frames
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2008, 08:49:05 am »
Brian,
Wow Tough situation. Sounds like you did what had to be done. I hope you get your apiary stood back up. Thanks for the info on dirty frames