Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: unexpected twist with a trapout  (Read 2213 times)

Offline rober

• Field Bee
unexpected twist with a trapout
« on: June 20, 2013, 10:54:26 pm »
i have 2 hogan style trap-outs in progress. both are in brick bldgs & are in the flat roof vents. one is not doing much. the hive itself seems to be dwindling. it is a single story & the owner has a ladder i can use so i've checked it on a regular basis. the other hive is going strong but i've not been able to check it because my truck has been down & this one requires a 32' ladder. finally got to check it & the girls turned it into a super. there are 6 deep frames full of capped honey. i wasn't expecting to find that. a nice bonus but it is not furthering the removal process.

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
Re: unexpected twist with a trapout
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 11:46:32 pm »
If it took a 32 ft ladder to get to them, they would just have to stay.  Good going though

Joe

Offline JPinMO

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2013, 02:20:46 am »
Rober, do you have a funnel on them?
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters
cannot be trusted in large ones either."  Albert Einstein

Offline rober

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2013, 10:36:35 am »
the hogan trap does not use a funnel. here's a link:
 http://honeysunapiary.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/hogan-bee-trap-pg1.pdf
the next move is to block off the tunnel. there is one of those red plastic bee escapes installed on the tunnel.

Offline JPinMO

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2013, 01:00:25 am »
the next move is to block off the tunnel. there is one of those red plastic bee escapes installed on the tunnel.

Ah-HA! I've read those pages, rober, but somehow I missed the fact that there was an escape. Thanks for clearing it up for me!

Hubby & I actually missed out on hearing Cleo speak at the Beek Assoc of the Ozarks (Springfield MO) in April because we went to the breakout session for new-bees. Wouldn't you know it, a week or so later we got a "bee tree" call. UGH!!! So we've been winging it based on those Hogan trap-out instructions and Idee's video.

Have you baited your trap with a frame of eggs?
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters
cannot be trusted in large ones either."  Albert Einstein

Offline rober

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2013, 12:21:07 pm »
the easy access trap-out did get a frame with eggs. so far not much help. i think this hive is waning.
i've not given this trap-out eggs yet. in the morning i'm going to change the frames out out & i'll give them a frame with eggs then

Offline rober

• Field Bee
Re: unexpected twist with a trapout.....follow-up
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2013, 07:16:59 pm »
pulled some of the frames & replaced them with some empty drawn comb & one frame of open brood & added the bee escape. there were  some bees bearding on the box BUT the odd thing is that 90% of the bees on the honey frames in the trap were drones. i've never seen so many drones in a hive.

Offline MTWIBadger

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2013, 10:15:35 pm »
Rober
How long is your tunnel from entrance to super and does light penetrate through the material?

Offline rober

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2013, 01:27:06 pm »
the tunnel is 4" long & light cannot come thru. the box has a standard hive type entrance. there are 5 frames  & a 4" space on the side for the tunnel. my tunnel is a side entrance nor rear like hogan's.