Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Materials for a trap out  (Read 31288 times)

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Materials for a trap out
« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2011, 09:01:19 am »
Shane, you are correct. Yes, one frame of brood with eggs and the rest foundation will work.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2011, 09:02:05 am »
You need EGGS so that they can make a new queen in hive on the outside of the trap.   One frame is sufficient.  You usually can't get a frame with just eggs,  but can get a mixed frame of brood and eggs.  

My preferred method is to take one frame of brood (with eggs) and put it in the trap hive as close to the base of the trap cone as possible (usually all the way to the side of the hive that touches the wall of the house) and then fill the remainder of the hive with 9 frames of foundation (assuming using a full size trap hive).
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline ShaneJ

• Field Bee
« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2011, 09:05:04 am »
Thank you guys. Much appreciated.

My only concern now is finding some eggs in my current hive. I'm very nervous about this part.

Shane
Shane

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2011, 09:09:36 am »
The only thing you should be nervous about is insuring you don't get your queen. If it is warm on the morning you do it, you can shake off most the bees from the frame.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline ShaneJ

• Field Bee
« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2011, 07:26:30 pm »
Getting the queen was the second thing I was nervous about. I was planing on spotting her on a frame really quickly and then grabbing another perfect frame with a good mix of eggs and brood. :roll: :-\ I wish..
Shane

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2011, 07:49:38 pm »
If you can spot her and set her aside, that is the safest.  If you can't find her than do your best to thoroughly examine the frame you want to take (study both sides of the frame at least 2 times)  then shake the bees off,  examine one more time and then put it into your trap out hive.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Meadlover

• House Bee
« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2011, 09:35:00 pm »
Shane,

I have only ever just put 1 frame in my tapouts (with open brood & eggs, no bees).

Because it is right next door you are at such an advantage with this trapout!

Offline ShaneJ

• Field Bee
« Reply #47 on: November 03, 2011, 10:01:17 pm »
Thanks.

Lets just hope that my advantage means success. :)
Shane

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2011, 11:10:33 pm »
Actually, there is also a disadvantage with it being so close.   Once you have completed the trap out,  you will need to find a place to move the hive for a couple of weeks that is more than 2 miles away.   Moving them a few hundred feet doesn't work so well,  unless you do it a foot at a time.

Offline ShaneJ

• Field Bee
« Reply #49 on: November 03, 2011, 11:16:25 pm »
Is that right? This is definitely the case with my native bees but didn't know the foreign bees were the same. Thanks for letting me know.
Shane

Offline GDRankin

• House Bee
    • The Bee Place
« Reply #50 on: September 02, 2014, 02:29:39 pm »
One frame of brood and EGGS. Yes, I capitalized EGGS.

Hey guys, pardon me if this has been addressed in more detail and I missed it, but . . .
when setting up a trapout and using a frame of brood and eggs, do you want to include some nurse bees to tend to the eggs and brood? Or will that cause a conflict with the new bees that will be moving into the new trap hive?

I've been successful without adding nurse bees, but the temps are rather high down here in south Texas this time of the year, so I thought the nurse bees may be helpful, but didn't want to start a fight among the unrelated/strange bees.

Thanks,
GD
Life is but a candle, a dream must give it flame.

* TheBeePlace.com * Honey * Bees * Hives * Supplies * Services *
* Facebook/The Bee Place * Like Us On Facebook

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #51 on: September 02, 2014, 03:00:17 pm »
I have used queenright nucs for the catchbox, and used frames with eggs without nurse bees, so I would say it doesn't matter. Either way works.

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline GDRankin

• House Bee
    • The Bee Place
« Reply #52 on: September 02, 2014, 03:09:42 pm »
Okay, good deal. Thanks for the speedy reply!
Life is but a candle, a dream must give it flame.

* TheBeePlace.com * Honey * Bees * Hives * Supplies * Services *
* Facebook/The Bee Place * Like Us On Facebook

Offline jayj200

• Queen Bee
« Reply #53 on: September 25, 2014, 01:13:09 pm »
First stupid question, how do you make your cones and keep them from unraveling?

...JP

I use cone glue. we keep it with propwash

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #54 on: November 13, 2022, 11:50:11 am »
I wanted to bump this. A similar subject came up this morning and I think this topic by iddee deserves to be renewed.

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Bill Murray

• House Bee
« Reply #55 on: November 13, 2022, 12:02:51 pm »
yes, what I like about this whole set up is it takes the work part out of the equation and replaces it only with time.

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #56 on: November 13, 2022, 04:54:43 pm »
Still work, several trips to the removal site for sure.

1. site visit to meet the property owner or at least see what is going on.
2. gather materials for sealing cracks and holes, bait hive, frame of brood, brackets, ladder, etc. and load up the truck
3. site visit to seal all of the cracks and holes, set the screen cone, set the bait hive which usuall requires some kind of brackets. Wait and watch to see that everything starts going your way.
4. site visit after 1 or 2 days to make sure they have not found another way in/out, maybe plug more holes and cracks.
5. site visit after a couple of weeks to make sure everything is still going your way, maybe even pull the original bait hive and replace with a new one. Look for signs of a queen, depending on how long it has been, Q cell, Q cell remnants, eggs, etc. Observe for bees still exiting the cone, could take and hour or so, first thing I do is plug the cone with grass while I and looking for queen
 signs.
6. site visit after several more weeks, no bees exiting cone, remove the cone and watch entrance hole for a while. Bees going in and out, fine. Bees going in with pollen........put the cone back on and wait some more.
7. site visit, pull everything down, plug entrance hole, collect money and head to the bee yard to set up a new hive.

easy peasy.........at least if close to home or on the way to/from work.

making the cone and keeping it together.
I roll mine up the way I want it and use an office stapler on he big end to put a couple of staple in it just to hold it in place. then use frame wire to stitch it together. easy peasy.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2022, 01:43:37 pm by G3farms »
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline Bill Murray

• House Bee
« Reply #57 on: November 13, 2022, 05:00:19 pm »
Still my friend only time.

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #58 on: November 14, 2022, 08:11:04 pm »
Yes just time, but a lot of gas and running around that you could be doing something else.

I find that the blue tap-cons work great for attaching the brackets and cones to any type of masonry
type wall
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline Bill Murray

• House Bee
« Reply #59 on: November 20, 2022, 11:43:26 am »
But you do get paid for this correct? And if so it seems It should be a good income stream, trapping them out vrs all the work cutting them out.

anything