Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Posting issuess -- gateway timeout  (Read 6614 times)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Posting issuess -- gateway timeout
« on: April 14, 2007, 11:05:47 am »
I have a very strange thing going on when I am on the forum and typing a post.  It may be a very confusing and long story, but I will try to define the problem.  I need some help here and maybe a forum member(s) have answers.

When I am replying to a post, there is a window that we all type in.  Well all have that.  When I have been typing for about 30 seconds, the typing window gets slightly larger, sometimes this text window appears to overlap with a larger window.  I have seen this larger window always appear when I go to preview my post and this has always been so, but this is not the issue.  Maybe this is the larger window is the same with everyone when they review their post, I don't know.  But, after a minute the entire text box opens up in the large text box window. 

A message appears that says:

Gateway Timeout
The following error occurred:
shortcuts, hit alt+s to submit/post or alt+p to preview

This does not affect my ability to post the message, but I cannot post any pictures because the ImageShack link is not there.

This is very annoying.

I thought that it might have been because of a new virus scan program that I downloaded about a month ago.  I removed my old one (because I thought that is why my computer was so slow, the size of McAfee is huge).

So, I removed the new virus scan last night and reinstalled McAfee.  I thought that the new virus scan saw the time spent typing opened a channel that it perceived a virus could sneak through and closed that particular connection.  That was not the issue, I still have this gateway timeout message appear when I post.

That is about as clear as I can get with what is occurring here.  If anyone has any answers, kindly post and let me know.  This is something that has been occurring now for about a week.  Prior to that everything functioned perfectly.  Have the beautiful, wonderful day, lots of good health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
Re: Posting issuess -- gateway timeout
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2007, 12:09:42 pm »
If your using internet explorer could the security be set too high in the tools menu,internet options?
I use mozilla firefox for a browser but have not seen this problem. maybe I'll use IE a bit and see if i can duplicate the problem

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2007, 12:22:21 pm »
A gateway timeout error aka a 504 error means a server, not necessarily a Web server, is acting as a gateway(That is it's job).  And that it is having an upstream communication problem. On a simple example Cindi's computer talks to it's modem. The modem talks to a server and gets an ip address from it. Then it allows traffic to pass from Cindi's computer to other computers on the internet. The server is now acting as a gateway. Cindi's computer is now passing traffic through that server. It will go to another server and continue to pass traffic. It can go thorugh many servers before it reaches a webserver with the beemaster.com website stored in it. While that may help describe the problem it certainly doesn't solve it.

Now for the bad news most likey the problem is either local to your computer or your isp server. Do you have any other websites that give you this issue?

One of the things you can do is known as traceroute. It does a traffic display of where your traffic is going.

http://visualroute.visualware.com/

Now for the next part. This may be a browser issue. If you are using IE I would try and see if you get a problem in Firefox. If you are using and antivirus software try turning it off for a bit and see if that continues your problem. Also see if your security settings on your browser are to high.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2007, 12:28:37 am »
Ken, thank you, try out.

Brendhan.  I am on the computer for a short time tonight.

Ken and Brendhan, I checked the security levels, they are set to medium.

This is an issue that has arisen only in the past week or so, something, somewhere has changed drastically. So, this question is why?  what?  I have been on this forum for months, with 0 problems like this one.

I do not go into other forums currently.  I will be going into the UBC Hortline forum in the morning to see if there is a problem with me posting in there, I used to be very active there, but haven't used this forum for quite some time.  time for experimentation.  I also am going to go on our forum here on my desktop computer and see if things are any different. 

I will attempt tomorrow morning to deactivate the virus scan, as you said to Brendhan.  I am so computer kniave that I get so many concerns about a virus sneaking in, so I am reluctant to turn it off.  But I can also be a daredevil.  Have the beautiful day.

By the way, I had a great productive day outside.  The sun did shine.  I mowed the lawn, cleaned the pool (which is a job in itself), I caught it in time before the damnable green water got its hold.  Vacuumed it, backwashed it, vacuumed it, backwashed it, rinsed it, finally, did not have shock so I gave it three chlorine puks. I sowed a bunch more seed in the greenhouse.  I am on the curcurbits right now, can't wait for the yummy food that comes from these vines!!!!

All the kids wanted to go swimming when they saw all the leaves, worms, huge ugly catarpillar larvae and the silky, long mossy algae out of the water.  What a picture eh?  Believe it or not, the water was clear  right down to the bottom inch or so before I  began.  It was just all this stuff sitting on the bottom of the pool that when I vacuumed it out and cleaned the filter basket several times, that made one go ooooh, that was yucky. 

So, sorry kids, no swimming yet.  The water looks so nice, but it is cold, cold, cold and I refuse to turn on the heater until the middle of June.  then the water will sit about 83 degree F.  that is my type of water to swim in.  Right now, it is about 50 degree water and they just can't swim yet, maybe when the water hits 62, then they can fill their boots (ooops, I mean swimming shorts).

I have no idea how I get so off topic.  But bear with me, it is something that I cannot control!!!!

Have the beautiful and awesome day, love life, live life, and great health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2007, 11:39:49 am »
So this morning I thought I would try something else to do with the Gateway Timeout error.

I went into another forum that I go to, it is a gardending forum.  I did not have any gateway timeout error and I was able to post a picture.

So, I am a little more lost.  This error is still occurring on this forum.  In this post (the gateway timeout just occurred, just now), as soon as I opened the window to type, I checked to see if ImageShack link was at the bottom of the screeen.  Nope.  Not there, no Imageshack.

I don't have time today to apply some of the advice given to me by you, Brendhan, about deactivating the virus scan, but when I have my quiet time tomorrow morning I will try stuff.  I would really like to post a couple of pictures that I have taken, but I guess that will have to wait until I can remedy this issue.  Have a wonderful day, the sun is shinin', great health.  Cindi

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2007, 12:31:25 pm »
Cindi,
I there any chance a keyboard shortcut is changing your window?
It could be the connection between your IP host and the one at beemaster.com
I tried that program Brendan said about and see the connection to beemaster goes through the UK.
Maybe different Routes to beemaster from BC than through the states?
Did you happen to try a different browser?
Maybe an auto update with microsoft changed something.
Just another thought:
Could the temporary internet files on your web browser been lowered and the local stored pages now have to completely download and it is taking too long to load the page?
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/findbyerrormessage/a/504error.htm

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2007, 09:38:43 am »
Cindi,
I there any chance a keyboard shortcut is changing your window?
It could be the connection between your IP host and the one at beemaster.com
I tried that program Brendan said about and see the connection to beemaster goes through the UK.
Maybe different Routes to beemaster from BC than through the states?
Did you happen to try a different browser?
Maybe an auto update with microsoft changed something.
Just another thought:
Could the temporary internet files on your web browser been lowered and the local stored pages now have to completely download and it is taking too long to load the page?
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/findbyerrormessage/a/504error.htm
Ken, no keyboard short cut activated.
I looked at the site about the 504 error.  THis is not the same error message I am getting.   Mine is not the 504 error, I have seen this error message (504) now and then, so I know about it, this is not the case.

I am going to contact Dell.  They need to assist me with this issue and I am sure that they will.  They are great people to help out, they have helped many times with other little issues.  I think it might hve someting to do with an update.  Because as I said before, this problem was sudden, one day things were all well, the next day, gone to H. in a basket.

I would love to try a different browser, but have no clue, so I will just wait to contact Dell.
thanks for taking the time to help out, much appreciated.  Have a wonderful day, good health.  Cindi

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2007, 10:15:48 am »
Cindi, go here and download Firefox.  I run Firefox with high security and have no trouble with any forums (other than what I note below).  I doubt this has anything to do with your virus software. 

Every once in awhile this site does funky things.  I've had text over messages boxes, image issues, etc. here.  I don't report them because I know they're going to stop the next time I log on.  I just had an error a little while ago where I was using the [previous] buttons to browse through the General forum, and the last message was one that was moved to the CCD forum.  When I hit the [previous] button I got an error message that "An unknown error has occurred or you have no permissions to view this forum".  Whatever  :-D  I clicked back and read on my merry way!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2007, 12:55:37 am »
Ann, OK, gonna check it out.  Brendhan also told me to use Firefox.  I will have to figure out stuff.  Maybe tomorrow morning.

I actually had success with submitting a post before the Gateway Timeout error occurred.  It was only about one sentence, and I might make this one too.  Great day, Cindi

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2007, 12:56:56 am »
P.S.  If I can get the post typed and sent before about 30 seconds expires, the post goes OK, definitely no Gateway Timeout error.  Weird stuff eh?  Almost out of the time.  Great day, good health.  Cindi

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2007, 01:42:33 am »
hope you get it worked out Cindi, I only use IE, I tried Fox Fire and couldn't stand it, only took me 2 days to go back to IE. I have never seen or heard of the problem you are having, let us know what Dell thinks!!!
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline UtahBees

• House Bee
    • My Photos on Flickr
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2007, 06:54:47 pm »
Sounds more like she has a keylogger virus and it's trying to send the data (her keystrokes) to an external webserver to analyze what she's typing (and it cannot contact the gateway to send the data through, that's why there's an error).

I'd buy that hard drive or USB flash drive, backup your important files only and get rid of everythign by re-installing. Then get the Anti-spyware/Firewall/Virus protection from Kaspery or Grisoft and install immediately after you've reformatted and installed Windows.

Lot to do there, but it'll be worth it. You don't want to have someone out there getting your personal information this way.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2007, 02:04:15 am »
UtahBees, I'm still up, copied this post into the word document.  I have used AVG Grisoft, and I actually think that is when the problem firstly became prevalent, go figure.  I will re-read stuff in the A.M.  Cindi

Offline Bennettoid

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2007, 03:40:47 pm »
Using several antispyware programs to scan is always a good idea. You don't need them running all the time, But sometimes one will pick up something another missed.

Turn off System Restore as well, because spyware and viruses will hide there and reinstall themselves when you reboot.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2007, 09:54:47 am »
Thanks for the advice, I am getting closer to my husband getting a bump put under his bum.  He is on the last legs of finishing my tomato greenhouse (today I hope, it is sunny) and then he will be working on my laptop.  I expect tomorrow he will get the little push, and then the bigger push, should be fixed by tomorrow night (Yeah).  Best of a beautiful day, great life and great health.  Cindi

anything