Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Injurous to queen?  (Read 1779 times)

Offline JackM

• Field Bee
Injurous to queen?
« on: November 08, 2011, 09:33:46 am »
Not sure if this belongs here or in general.  But, since you suddenly cage queens during a cutout, it raises a question in my mind.  I assume the same happens to a queen stuffed into a package too, sudden inability to lay eggs.....i.e., sudden unplanned stoppage.

So any info on whether that can injure a queen?  Make her abdomen swell?  I know it is kinda an off the wall question, but, hey, when you got a full bladder something has to happen, ya know what I mean?
Jack of all trades
Master of none.

Offline BBees

• House Bee
Re: Injurous to queen?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 10:48:12 am »
After having a few abscond after cut-outs, I've made it a standard practice to rubber band the queen-catcher into a frame or onto a top bar for two days before she's released. I think it protects the queen from being squashed by swinging frames on the trip back to the bee yard too. On occasion I have seen eggs piled up in the queen-catcher when I've released them. Can't say it's harmed the queen. In any case I feel, NOT seeing them fly off to parts unknown is worth the risk.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. Confusius

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 11:15:51 am »
Actually, quite often the reverse happens. She will often thin down for a short period until she is attended to. Queens in transport thin down as well, then swell in short time once released into a hive.

As long as the queen is mated and uninjured they normally will accept her fine. If a virgin by any chance she must be let out in order to mate or will become a drone layer.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline L Daxon

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 11:36:27 am »
I found a queen at my open feeder Sunday a.m.  I picked her up with a queen catcher and placed her back on the landing board of the hive she came out of.  She wasn't too mobile and after about 10 min., while being attended, she rolled off the landing board.  I picked her up by the wings gently with my fingers and put her back on the landing board.  As she slowly moved off, it looked like she had peed once, and then a second time as she moved on. At least it looked like pee to me. Kind of a clearish yellow liquid.

Linda D
linda d

anything