Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Another Box Joint Jig  (Read 11325 times)

Offline Humanbeeing

• House Bee
Re: Another Box Joint Jig
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2011, 09:03:36 pm »
BlueBee,
I agree with Robo, your boxes look really good. The way you explaned it, you could drive a bus through the gaps! Keep doing what your doing.
HELP! I accidently used Drone eggs with the Hopkins method and I got Drag Queens!!!

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2011, 09:10:09 pm »
Honey super with big gaps=top entrance.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2011, 09:12:04 pm »
Obviously I’m not a professional wood worker or I would already know how to deal with this twisted wood problem

Nonsense bluebee, what you have done is perfectly adequate.  The only suggestion I would make is to taper that top edge or the cleat so rain water will run off it instead of getting underneath the box wall on top.  If you are worried about the box setting flat get a butt plane and dust off the high spots.  The wood is like the bees it is better to let it do what it wants to do than try to force it to do something else.  If it is warped, so what?  The bees don't care.

If you want a simple solution just lay a bead of caulk on the top surface of the box, cover it with syran wrap or wax paper and then set the other box on top.  Let it cure for a couple of days and then pull off the syran warp and clean off the over flow.  Number the boxes to keep the order consistant and they will always be a perfect match.  I always remember what my father used to tell me, "hey, your not building a church."
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2011, 09:27:07 pm »
I had 4 by the end of last year and I broke and tore more comb in just a few months, enough to turn me off of on them.
How'd you manage that?  You're not suppose to be going into them  :-P

I keep one at the house just for fun and to see how long they can survive without any intervention.  Going on 3 years now with only under supering.

I think trying to manage any quantity of them and harvest honey would be a hassle,  but there are folks out there that swear by the TBHs.  If everyone liked chocolate, they wouldn't make vanilla......

Glad you found a use for them.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Humanbeeing

• House Bee
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2011, 10:24:36 pm »
And that's another thing Robo, in this day and age, you should be checking your bees. Mr. Warre lived in another time. I like the size of them. I have three Warre hives out back that seem to be wintering really well. By the same token, I have bees in Langs that are wintering very well also. 6 to one, half a dozen to another. I just know that I am going for 100 hives as a goal, and I can't see me doing that with Warre hives.
Besides the fact that I can't stay out of them every two weeks or so. That's asking too much! :)
HELP! I accidently used Drone eggs with the Hopkins method and I got Drag Queens!!!

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2011, 11:26:21 am »
And that's another thing Robo, in this day and age, you should be checking your bees. Mr. Warre lived in another time.
I'm not sure of that, sometimes I think we are doing more harm than good.   I see a lot of feral colonies thriving with no intervention by man.

I just know that I am going for 100 hives as a goal, and I can't see me doing that with Warre hives.
I hear ya.

Besides the fact that I can't stay out of them every two weeks or so. That's asking too much! :)
Addicting isn't it :-D I'm sure when you got into beekeeping, a goal of 100 hives was not on your mind :shock:

Best of luck and hope you succeed.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline PeeVee

• House Bee
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2011, 10:55:31 am »
Super clever jig for doing the joints! I can think of a couple other applications for that technology.

And i heartily approve of the t shirt!
-Paul VanSlyke - Cheers from Deposit,NY

Offline Zulu

• New Bee
    • Ballinger Bees
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2011, 03:58:28 pm »
So what happened to the video's ??
Newbee 2011

anything