Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: honey gate ?  (Read 2730 times)

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
honey gate ?
« on: August 05, 2010, 03:38:23 pm »
i needed another bucket with a honey gate on it.  in the past i just bought one already done.  this year i got the bucket at HD and the HG at Mann Lake.  now....is there a really easy way to make the hole?  i had though about using the door knob hole maker thing, but a. i can't find it and b.  i think it's to small a hole anyway.

suggestions?
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline AliciaH

• Field Bee
Re: honey gate ?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 04:03:38 pm »
Can you measure the hole of the bucket you already have?  I would think that if you take that measurement back to HD they will help you find the perfect drilling option for your Makita (or whatever you're using).

I'm eager to see how you end up doing this!

Offline Livefreeordie

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 04:36:06 pm »
I think if you take the HG to Lowes or Home Depot, they can fix you up with the proper size hole saw.
When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~ Thomas Jefferson ~

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 04:47:59 pm »
The gates I use from Dadant require a 1 7/8" hole saw. When you make the hole, measure carefully and try to orient it so that the nut on the inside sits flat on the bottom of the bucket. You won't be able to turn the nut but rather screw the gate into it from the outside.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 04:50:09 pm »
Just as an FYI...HD buckets are not rated as food grade. I'm not sure how much difference it makes to you...I personally use them...but if you're selling the honey the FDA wouldn't approve.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline hoxbar

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 06:09:28 pm »
I used a 2" hole saw bit on mine, I did it just a few weeks ago. I think the 1 7/8" might have been better. Mine doesn't leak but I'd test it with some water a few days before you put honey in it.

Offline hoxbar

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2010, 06:12:02 pm »
Just as an FYI...HD buckets are not rated as food grade. I'm not sure how much difference it makes to you.

Mine's not food grade either. If it's only in the bucket for a little while I don't see what it would matter. What's the benefits of using food grade?

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2010, 06:20:23 pm »
but if you're selling the honey the FDA wouldn't approve

if you had to guess my opinion....   :evil:

no, it won't be in there long.  i just needed an extra drip bucket.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

bigbearomaha

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2010, 06:22:51 pm »
I don't know about Home Depot buckets, but  I do know that 5 gal pails at Tractor Supply are food grade because they are there for farmers carrying food for and from animals in many cases.

Don't cost but a couple bucks apiece.

Big Bear

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2010, 07:13:39 pm »
Food grade buckets ain't but $7  each and that's with a new lid.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2010, 10:07:46 pm »
Food grade buckets from donut shops and slushy shops are 1.00 each or less, with lid.

I drill a hole the size of the first bit I pick up. Approx. a half inch. Then I open it up with my pocket knife until it fits.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*