Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What is going to be flowing in melbournes northern suburbs soon?  (Read 3386 times)

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
Hey Everybody,

I have some eucalypts near home that look like they're forming buds for flowering. They're fairy advanced and look like they could burst in a few weeks... i live alongside a river in melbournes northern suburbs. I'm just wondering though what's flowering over the coming weeks?

Offline philinacoma

• House Bee
Re: What is going to be flowing in melbournes northern suburbs soon?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 09:45:10 am »
Hi OzBuzz,

Taking a walk around the streets, usually in my lunch hour, there are 3 plants that seem to be attracting the bees the most. Salvias, Eucalypts and another plant (shrub) that I havn't found the name of yet. It has slightly rusty small pointy leaves with small white trumpet to bell shaped flowers. It is common in the gardens from the sixties and seems to be making a comeback again in some of the newer gardens too. With the Eucalypts they seem to have just started opening in the last 24 hours.

Feel free to add to the list.

Phil

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 09:58:53 am »
The ones on the river near me appear to be, based on my limited research, river red gum... they have nice green flower capsules on them but i dont know exactly when they will open... from what i have read so far they're not supposed to flower until spring? There are some red flowered eucalypts around that are flowering but they're ones that aren't endemic to the area

I think i know that rust leaved plant you're talking about! i also find that butterflies are incredibly attracted to them...

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 05:13:57 am »
Hi OzBuzz,

Taking a walk around the streets, usually in my lunch hour, there are 3 plants that seem to be attracting the bees the most. Salvias, Eucalypts and another plant (shrub) that I havn't found the name of yet. It has slightly rusty small pointy leaves with small white trumpet to bell shaped flowers. It is common in the gardens from the sixties and seems to be making a comeback again in some of the newer gardens too. With the Eucalypts they seem to have just started opening in the last 24 hours.

Feel free to add to the list.

Phil

Phil, google Abelia spp and see if that is the one you're thinking of

Offline philinacoma

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 05:16:25 pm »
That's the one.  :) Thanks!

I have identified 2 out of 3 of the Eucalypts flower outside of the window at work. The red flowering yellow gum and the pink flowering yellow gum. Neither of which are indigenous to Vic. Both used extensively by councils in parks.

The third one is not in the park and was absolutely covered with bees last night when I was leaving work. Will try to identify it today.