Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: queen less hive  (Read 1551 times)

Offline bcooper

• New Bee
queen less hive
« on: August 13, 2012, 03:45:37 pm »
If I have a queen less hive, with a laying worker, could I use these bees to raise some grafted queen cells without removing the laying worker?

Offline Hemlock

• Field Bee
Re: queen less hive
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 05:51:51 pm »
No.

Those eggs are all drones.  You have two problems; Queenless, Laying worker.  Laying workers are a big problem but cam be fixed a few different ways.  Best bet is to go read about laying workers over at Bush Farms (Click here )

*Just realized i misread that question big time.  Please ignore the above*

Is it a regular sized hive? or a nuc?  It would be a shame to lose a good sized hive to laying workers. 

« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 06:30:36 pm by Hemlock »
Make Mead!

Offline bcooper

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 07:22:24 pm »
It is just a small nuc, I had a graft bar in the hive to allow cleaning prior to grafting.  Weather kept me from getting to it until today, only 72 hrs since I installed it. But I noticed several eggs in a couple cell cups. I grafted only 5 cups anyway just to see what would happen.  There are nurse bees and with brood honey and pollen on the other 4 frames. what are your thoughts now? Thanks

Offline duck

• House Bee
    • Big Thicket Bees
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 09:18:46 pm »
i would say yeah they will get to work on em.  But im no queen rearing expert.  I would think they would take care of any larvae you put in there.

Offline bcooper

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2012, 09:30:57 pm »
Well I checked them after about 6 hours and they seem to be doing just what the doctor ordered. Now I wonder if they will try to raise a queen cell from one of the eggs (after it hatches ) that the worker placed there. Which we know won't work

anything