Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: mann lake or kelly  (Read 5175 times)

Offline swarmtrap

• New Bee
mann lake or kelly
« on: January 15, 2017, 02:39:31 am »
need to get my order in and will order online, who do you guys suggest ordering from, who ships faster and has better quality stuff
i hear and i forget
i see and i remember
i do and i know

Offline herbhome

• Field Bee
Re: mann lake or kelly
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2017, 02:48:01 am »
Quality is good with both Mann Lake and Kelly. I don't order online- I use the phone and both have been helpful. I buy unassembled frames and boxes and Kelley includes an ample amount of nails, so bear that in mind. Good luck this spring. :smile:
Neill

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2017, 06:31:45 am »
The shipping time will have a lot to do with the season with any of them.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2017, 08:45:10 am »
I order all of my materials from Mann Lake.
Really good service and workmanship.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Barhopper

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2017, 09:50:49 am »
I order all of my materials from Mann Lake.
Really good service and workmanship.
That being said I've never used Kelly's but of the other suppliers I've used Mann
Lake is the best so far. A local supplier with quality equipment would be the best.

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2017, 08:32:01 pm »
I've ordered stuff from Mann lake, Kelley's, Miller beekeeping, and Brushy Mountain. They are all good.  My personal preference for frames and boxes would be Mann lake.  The rest of the stuff comes down to who's cheapest or who has what you need.  I would say that the quality is equal.

Offline swarmtrap

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2017, 12:49:59 am »
thank you to all that replied, i finally pulled the trigger on it, i bought things from both places and hopefully they ship it fast and then i will decide to use them again or shop elsewhere next time
i hear and i forget
i see and i remember
i do and i know

Offline Beeboy01

• Field Bee
  • Oh Look A Honey Bee !!!
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2017, 07:55:34 pm »
I prefer Mann Lake for frames. Their side bars and bottom bars are a little heavier than Kelly or Dadant. I try to stick with one supplier so I don't get any bee space surprises.

Offline swarmtrap

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2017, 08:04:07 pm »
i got my frames and bee jacket today from mann lake the frames are excellent and the jacket is the provent in x large and its the fencing style but the veil part is big enough to wear a cowboy hat which i will probly have to do to keep it in position to see out of the front and not the top :)
i hear and i forget
i see and i remember
i do and i know

Offline swarmtrap

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2017, 08:06:44 pm »
and just saw the email that my order from kelley bees has been shipped also, whoo hooo
i hear and i forget
i see and i remember
i do and i know

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2017, 08:21:05 pm »
i got my frames and bee jacket today from mann lake the frames are excellent and the jacket is the provent in x large and its the fencing style but the veil part is big enough to wear a cowboy hat which i will probly have to do to keep it in position to see out of the front and not the top :)
Heat is a big problem for me but a baseball cap or better yet a golfing visor warn backwards might work for you.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline swarmtrap

• New Bee
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2017, 08:29:53 pm »
yea i was just thinking  that, hopefully i wont even need it
i hear and i forget
i see and i remember
i do and i know

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2017, 08:43:25 pm »
I like the European version better than the safari type.  I have trees and bushes around my hives and still it makes me flinch when I back into the branches.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline KeyLargoBees

• Field Bee
    • Pirate Hat Apiary
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2017, 02:30:57 pm »
I had a horrible Kelly experience so I avoid them....hope it works out better for you :-)
Jeff Wingate

Changes in Latitudes...Changes in Attitudes....are Florida Keys bees more laid back than the rest of the country...only time will tell!!!
piratehatapiary@gmail.com https://www.facebook.com/piratehatapiary

Offline CrazyTalk

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2017, 04:31:49 pm »
I had a horrible Kelly experience so I avoid them....hope it works out better for you :-)

Different strokes I guess - my experience with Kelly was pretty seamless. My experience with Mann Lake was months of no communication after charging my credit card. Threatening a chargeback a couple days before the limit is what got the order shipped.

I didn't see any real difference in item quality - but I'm real reticent to deal with Mann Lake.

Offline stanisr

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2017, 08:10:47 pm »
I've had good luck with Mann Lake. I think the quality of the boxes and frames is better. As far as other items, price and shipping.
Rick

Offline Beezer

• New Bee
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2017, 09:08:14 pm »
Can't comment on Kelly.  Did my research and thought Mann Lake had great prices.  I am a very satisfied customer and I've stuck with them for five years because of this.

Offline swarmtrap

• New Bee
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2017, 12:08:21 am »
mann lake shipped within 24 hours and i received items in only 3 days i'm satisfied with the quality, will buy from there again. kelley is close to my home and they shipped in 3 days and would of received it in only 4 days but i got the zip code wrong by accident so its gunna be monday when i get it, if the quality is goodthen i will be satisfied with both places
i hear and i forget
i see and i remember
i do and i know

Offline swarmtrap

• New Bee
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2017, 12:53:25 am »
so i got all my stuff and im pretty pleased with the quality (except the flimsy queen catcher) and mann lake shipped within 24 hours and i received it in only 3 days, kelley shipped in only 3 days and i would of received it in 4 days except for that zip being wrong and i thought they sent the wrong smoker so i called them and was speaking to a really nice lady on the phone within about 4 minutes who knew exactly what i ordered and they did in fact ship the correct smoker, so in conclusion i would say 2 thumbs up for both companies and i will buy from the others and see how they compare as i have already heard of dadant taking your money for stuff thats on backorder but not telling you its gunna ba month till they ship it :(
i hear and i forget
i see and i remember
i do and i know

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2017, 01:40:40 pm »
Swarmtrap,
There are 2 types of queen catchers here that I know of. One is made of a hard plastic and the other is rather soft plastic. The hard plastic has the wings flared way out, soft plastic are much straighter. The hard plastic will break the first time you stress it a little or it gets bumped in your tool box or pocket. The soft one will last a long time and is very forgiving.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

anything