Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bee keepign when allergic ?  (Read 3135 times)

Offline jm82792

• New Bee
Bee keepign when allergic ?
« on: October 19, 2007, 10:38:52 pm »
Well I REALLY want to keep bees,have always been interested in bees and have a chance to keep them.
But I am mildly allergic though,when I am stung my arm,leg or whatever will swell up a ton for a few weeks straight. My mom will not let me keep bees since after each sting my reactions get slightly worse..... So what I am asking is is there specific bee specie or breed that will not sting (I don't care about bites) that will produce a small/fair amount of honey. Is there such a thing  :? If not I am stuck since I can't get stung since the reactions could get much  worse  :'(
Thanks for your time,
Josh M
Ps I live in southern oregon
EDIT sorry wrong place to post please move  ;)

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
Re: Bee keepign when allergic ?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2007, 10:42:44 pm »
They all sting (they don't bite).  If you can find an allergist who can work with you to desensitize you, it's a possibility.  However, if the reaction is getting steadily worse you'd probably be better off foregoing beekeeping.

Offline jm82792

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2007, 10:46:18 pm »
Okay thanks,
I will look into it.

Offline jm82792

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2007, 10:59:17 pm »
My mom says I am steadely getting worse and there is some genetic thing I may have.
Bummer....................................
I have other hobbies this can'tbe one of them though

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2007, 08:15:10 am »
>But I am mildly allergic though,when I am stung my arm,leg or whatever will swell up a ton for a few weeks straight.

Technically, that's not "allergic".  That's just venom.  That's why they call it venom.  "Allergic" reaction is when you have a systemic reaction.  That's when you break out in hives all over (in places other than the area around the sting) and sometimes have trouble breathing.  I have had an ankle swell so badly I couldn't walk.  Since then I haven't been able to find the sting five minutes after it happens.  The problem with all of this is that it's totally unpredictable.  But so far, from your description, you have no had an allergic reaction.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2007, 11:46:03 am »
JoshM.  If you really have such a keen interest in keeping honeybees (and yes, they all sting), then do as other forum members have advised.  Find out if you can get "desensitized". 

There has been many beekeepers documented that are very allergic to bees that have kept bees. 

You must determine how great your need to keep bees are and how far you are willing to go to be able to safely keep bees. You must never put yourself at a risk of a death situation, but if you really really want to be a beekeeper then do some research.  Study carefully, speak to a doctor or one that can help to figure out if you are truly "allergic".  That is what I would do.

Michael spoke of the allergic reaction of hives.  That is an indication of a very dangerous situation as far as an allergy to a bee sting.  You have not had the hives, but you have had swelling.

The swelling is a "normal" reaction to the venom, hives is a "dangerous" reaction.

So, Josh, see how really interested in beekeeping you are, then go from there.  You will hear other comments from members on this forum too, but that is my two cents worth.  Have a great and beautiful day on our wonderful planet, Earth.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline jm82792

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2007, 12:50:40 am »
Okay I will research fo awhile,I have also been poking my mom to talk to the family docter.
My mom is sorta against most drugs (naturpathic sorta) so everytime I got stung I never had an antihistamine for stings untill I got stung like 10 times from a nest of wasp. There was almost no swelling since I took the antihistamine so there is hope for something that I could possibly take that could help and/or get "desensitized".  If that works there is a bee keeping 4h by me that could get me setup and I have a 9 acre property with fruit trees and pasture that has clover so I think it would be perfect. Well I will keep this updated and I will keep on pushing.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2007, 07:14:02 am »
So far you have not said anything that would lead me to believe you are allergic.  I think you're ahead of yourself.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2008, 11:34:24 pm »
Shouldn't this be moved?
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

anything