Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Fondant Recipe & Funny Story  (Read 2630 times)

Offline Jay

• House Bee
Fondant Recipe & Funny Story
« on: January 22, 2006, 05:44:42 pm »
Here is the recipie I use for winter candy:

15 lbs granulated sugar (about 30 cups)
3 lbs white corn syrup (12 oz = 1 lb.)
1 quart water

Mix all in a large pot and boil to 230-235 degrees. Put the pot into a sink of cold water (this helps cool it faster) and cool to about 200 degrees. During the cooling process beat with an electric mixer to fluff up the mixture. The cooling down/beating process only takes about 5 minutes. Pour into molds (cookie pans, baking dishes etc.) about 3/4 to 1 inch thick. Put in garage to cool. If you need to cut into sections, a pizza cutter works well. Flip pans over and run under hot water for a minute to release fondant. Store in plastic bags separated by wax paper.

The funny story:

I was in the grocery store buying sugar and corn syrup for the fondant, and when I went up to the check out, the cashier said "I know what you're doing!" And for a brief second, I actually believed her and got excited! She said "you must be making some pecan pies!?!" Then my inner voice said "oh yeah, that's what normal people do with this stuff" So I said to her "That would be a very good guess if I were normal, but no, I'm actually feeding my bees!" She said "Oh, you keep bees... that must be very.....interesting!" So I said "Oh yes, it's fascinating......" then I looked back at the line of people behind me and my inner voice spoke up again and said "she's being polite stupid, get out while you can!" So I smiled, said "well have a great day" and went home to make some fondant! It's tough when you live in a sub-culture and try to operate in the real world! :lol:
By the rude bridge that arched the flood
Their flag to Aprils breeze unfurled
Here once the embattled farmers stood
And fired the shot heard round the world
-Emerson

Offline latebee

• House Bee
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2006, 10:54:12 pm »
I know what you are saying Jay,the minute you start talking "bees"people look at you like you have two heads. But I find it amusing, and do honestly try to educate them about the bees--minus the birds.
The person who walks in another's tracks leaves NO footprints.

Offline GeeBeeNC

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2006, 02:09:08 pm »
Believe or not I actually made my first beekeeping contact in the checkout line at the grocery store.  We started with the usual absent minded coments about the weather, then to fruit, pollination and bingo! the manager (running the checkoout) mentioned his bees.  He is one of the leaders in the county bee club.

I had already done a web search for the local club and had determined from out dated info that I had a work schedule conflict with the meetings.
Correct information now in hand I attended the next meeting .  

The rest is history. :lol:  :shock:  :lol:  :shock:  :!:
GeeB

If the world were merely seductive,
That would be easy.

If it were merely challenging,
That would be no problem.

But I arise in the morning torn
Between a desire to improve the world
And a desire to enjoy the world.

That makes it hard to plan the day.
                                 E.B. White

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2006, 12:42:28 am »
Once I start talking bees others just keep asking more questions so I try to keep it short even though I end up talking for like ever, thats why I come here, lol :D
Ryan Horn

Offline Jack Parr

• House Bee
HONEY CAN BE SOLD
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2006, 10:12:07 am »
your honey that is, in a check out line.

I was recently in a grocery store and just by happenstance struck up a chit chat with a man and his wife? and bingo, I have an order for my honey come June.

Actually I was checking on the store honey prices and was amazed at how low/cheap they were selling their honey.

I didn't dwell on the store's prices when I struck up a conversation but did stress that MY HONEY would be much tastier.

However, usually folks will express an interest in bees if you take the time to engage them in the subject.

Jack 8)