Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Timber dimensions  (Read 4911 times)

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
Timber dimensions
« on: April 25, 2011, 10:06:33 am »
Just wondering - would 240mm X 19mm timbers be suitable for full depth boxes? The dimensions i have found so far state 243mm - would the 3mm make that much difference or could you accommodate for that in the frame rebate at the top? Or would 3mm not make that much difference? I'm thinking of buying some dressed pine and trying to make some of my own boxes

Offline Grieth

• House Bee
Re: Timber dimensions
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 12:05:40 pm »
The Dave Cushman site has a lot of great detail on bee space and hive dimensions.
http://www.dave-cushman.net/bee/lang.html  Cushman Hive Size page

I would be interested to know where you get lumber cheaper than you can buy precut boxes, and how you plan to do the hand holds. :shock:
"The time has come," the walrus said, "to talk of many things:
Of shoes and ships - and sealing wax - of cabbages and kings”
Lewis Carroll

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 10:45:09 pm »
Rough calculations i should be able to make a box, including dipping and painting, for about $10 excluding labour

Offline Grieth

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2011, 04:42:40 am »
I think that the boxes are 22mm not 19, not sure if that makes a difference.
The 3mm difference in depth might make a difference to bee space.
Lewis Carroll

Offline Mardak

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2011, 05:03:33 am »
I have made lots a different boxes over the years. Health of the hive, habits of the queen, pollen and nectar are the main determinants I reckon. The depth of the frames is another consideration. You can always change this depth if you consider bee space to important to you. I do not reckon the bees give a toss in their feral hives about bee space and some of the other stuff we often read about.

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 11:12:26 pm »
I'm going to play it by ear and see how it goes - i've found that 'bee space' is quite generous in regard the spacing that it allows. Most mills down here make a 245X22mm board for beehives so i'm going to go with that as it's a standard product for them...

Offline Mardak

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 04:26:23 am »
I certainly get some degree of satisfaction when I have made up the hive ware and look at some the pieces as the years go by. I reckon the wax dipping of all hive ware is the go if you can find someone to do small lots as the cost of the equipment and wax is pretty much in the domain of the big outfits. Better for the condition of all the wood components over the years.

Offline Grieth

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2011, 10:38:54 am »
You could make wsp size boxes out of that size timber.  You can get wsp size frames for same price as deeps in Melb.
Lewis Carroll