Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Mosquito Spraying  (Read 3135 times)

Offline The Whale

• New Bee
Mosquito Spraying
« on: June 16, 2006, 10:03:04 am »
Hello

Our city has begun a spraying program for mosquitos in an effort to stem the West Nile Virus impact. Big trucks running down the road spraying up and into front yards.

Is this going to be harmful to my backyard hives? If so, is there anything I can do to protect them?  

I can post a sign stating that I do not want them to spray our yard but if everyone else in the neighborhood is sprayed, I can't see that this will help.

Any advice will be much appreciated! Thank you!

Linda in Nashville
Linda Williams

Offline Summerbee

• House Bee
    • http://imabkpr.blogspot.com
Mosquito Spraying
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2006, 10:55:16 am »
I am going through the same thing too. Our local beekeeping club contacted the mosquito control board about it.  They said "Well, just give us a list of your addresses and we'll tell our planes not to spray over your property." (Our spraying is by plane here).  It nice of them to make the effort, but honestly, there's no way they can keep that stuff from drifting once it starts coming down.  Plus, bees forage in a 2 miles radius - so they'll be exposed to it anyway.    :(   I would also be interested in finding out if you can protect your hive when this occurs - could you  screen them in for a day or two?
People will accept your ideas much more readily if you tell them Benjamin Franklin said it first.
- David H. Comins

http://imabkpr.blogspot.com

Offline thomashton

• House Bee
Mosquito Spraying
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2006, 11:22:35 am »
I'm lucky in that my hives are about 450 feet from the road toward the back of the property. Everytime Chemical Ali (as we affectionately call him), comes by in his pick up and fogger (yup, this is the country, no fancy planes or big trucks), I'm lucky I don't have to worry because my girls are so far back.

One other thing that is helpful, they seem to spray at about 9pm or later here. All the girls are in bed dreaming of collecting the most nectar ever the next day so I really don't have to worry.

That is rough when it is done by plane. Don't know how to get around that one.
After 18 months of reading and preparation, my girls finally arrived on April 11th (2006)!

Offline Ross

• Field Bee
    • http://www.myoldtools.com
Mosquito Spraying
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2006, 01:35:21 pm »
They should be spraying after sunset for a number of reasons.  They don't need to spray kids at play or the beneficial insects that are out in the daytime.
www.myoldtools.com
Those who don't read good books have no advantage over those who can't---Mark Twain

Offline Apis629

• Field Bee
    • A Hobbyist's Beekeeping Adventures
Mosquito Spraying
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2006, 06:59:41 pm »
Here we have a program that they'll get a GPS location of your hives and, make sure to tell you when they will spray that area (if they will), spray at night or, just avoid the area altogether.  I'm a little concerned about this given, I have only 1 hive that's registered with the state.  The other 4 have all been since last August.

Offline Summerbee

• House Bee
    • http://imabkpr.blogspot.com
Mosquito Spraying
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2006, 07:31:02 pm »
That's probably a statewide thing- pretty much what our gov't folks said.  I still think it's a completely ineffective plan.

They shouldn't give you any trouble about your other hives, I wouldn't think... as long as you're registered your hive numbers can fluctuate yearly, right?
People will accept your ideas much more readily if you tell them Benjamin Franklin said it first.
- David H. Comins

http://imabkpr.blogspot.com

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
Mosquito Spraying
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2006, 09:41:42 pm »
if you can find out when they will spray your area's, that spray will kill all and close off your hives when they spray if you can, if it drifts toward you hives some might die if not all.....
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Mosquito Spraying
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2006, 08:12:36 pm »
screening the hives for up to 48 hours can work if they are willing to give a spraying schedule.  If  not I'd complain that daytime spraying is not only endangering the bees but kids and pets at play etc.  Then if no responce write a letter to the local newspaper outlining your complaints--public opinion can make a difference.
Most elected officials are very interested in CYA activity.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Mosquito Spraying
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2006, 08:37:39 pm »
It's usually malthion.  If they spray during the day it's devastating to the bees.  If they spray at night I haven't seen any losses.  They SHOULD spray after dark for mosquitoes (according the EPA label which IS the law).  If they spray in the daytime, call the EPA, call the state agriculture department, call city hall.  Usually if you let them know where you are they will avoid spraying where your hives are.  But some places they won't listen.  I've lost a lot of bees to malthion spraying for mosquitoes at 2:00 in the afternoon.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline The Whale

• New Bee
Mosquito Spraying
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2006, 12:11:07 am »
After further investigation, I have learned that the city will be spraying at dusk and after dark. The chemical used is Anvil (sumithrin) - listed as toxic to bees, etc.

So if I place a screen across the front entrance of my hives for a day and lock them in, will they be OK? The info about this toxin says it will degrade in sunlight and high temps within 24 hours.

Gee - I didn't have enough to think about with varroa, SHB, AFB, etc., etc. Now we've got the HEALTH DEPARTMENT trying to do in the poor honeybees!

Linda in Nashville   :x  :x  :x
Linda Williams

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Mosquito Spraying
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2006, 10:24:14 am »
>So if I place a screen across the front entrance of my hives for a day and lock them in, will they be OK?

Not on a hot day.

> The info about this toxin says it will degrade in sunlight and high temps within 24 hours.

I don't know enough about this chemical, but the malthion only seemed to be a problem if the bees were flying.  I think if they follow the directions and spray at dusk or dark, you will be ok.

>Gee - I didn't have enough to think about with varroa, SHB, AFB, etc., etc. Now we've got the HEALTH DEPARTMENT trying to do in the poor honeybees!

It's amazing the bees have survived considering what we keep doing to them.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin