Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: lost all my hives  (Read 8586 times)

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: lost all my hives
« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2013, 11:59:16 am »
glen, most of the time the bees will take care of them if they don't have big entrance or holes to defend.  this year, they were so relentless that the took down even my strongest hive....and, as i said, it was partly my fault for not being able to stay on top of the traps and stuff...although, bad as they were, it might not have mattered....

you know how it is when you walk through clover and there are bees all over the place?  that's how thick the yj's were.  they were everywhere.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #41 on: December 10, 2013, 11:44:58 pm »
Kathy

Sorry I am late in posting this, but I am very sorry you lost your bees. This was a very tough year for me as well.  I lost 3 out of 4 hives this year.

But I am not ready to give up. Will keep on trying to keep them alive.

Good luck next season. I am sure things will get better.

Annette

Offline minz

• House Bee
« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2013, 03:21:32 pm »
Weather is changing so I ventilated them. I did not have any indication of moisture on any of the hives.  I had no brood, lots of heads stuck into cells, no honey around the bees.  I did send a sample off to Beltsville and it has been received as of yesterday.  The bees I sent in were the ones dead on the frames in the brood area.  I have the hives in the back of the truck, the bees can get into the canopy but not out of if it is bad.  I thought the rope test was only for dead brood? I have no brood that I can find.  I did find white, almost pellet like things in some cells that I have not seen before. Any ideas as to what that may be?
Poor decisions make the best stories.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2013, 04:06:15 pm »
left you a note on your other thread.  be careful with the ventilation.  IMO it is highly over-rated.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #44 on: December 13, 2013, 12:34:05 pm »
Weather is changing so I ventilated them. I did not have any indication of moisture on any of the hives.  I had no brood, lots of heads stuck into cells, no honey around the bees.  I did send a sample off to Beltsville and it has been received as of yesterday.  The bees I sent in were the ones dead on the frames in the brood area.  I have the hives in the back of the truck, the bees can get into the canopy but not out of if it is bad.  I thought the rope test was only for dead brood? I have no brood that I can find.  I did find white, almost pellet like things in some cells that I have not seen before. Any ideas as to what that may be?

White pellet things might bee Chalk brood. Did you find a lot of them or just a few?
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Antiguasdelnorte

• New Bee
« Reply #45 on: December 13, 2013, 04:58:57 pm »
Sorry to hear about your loss

Offline my-smokepole

• House Bee
« Reply #46 on: December 17, 2013, 10:40:51 am »
Kathy sorry for your lost. Last year I had a lot of equipment out that was empty every yard pick up at lease one swarm. One yard started out with nothing but empty boxes and end up with 3 hives in it. Maybe park a set of boxes at a lot of friends places.
David
My-smokepole

anything