Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: We're BEE Owners!!!!!  (Read 2567 times)

Offline wunderdawg

• New Bee
We're BEE Owners!!!!!
« on: May 18, 2009, 01:14:18 pm »
Finally.......  Bought 2 established hives from a local beekeeper in our club, and moved them last night.  They are both about 65 to 75 percent drawn.  Can't tell you how excited I am to have started our "Beeyard". 

Now I have a couple of questions.   I know that you shouldnt go into the hives too often, but he said I should feed them.  Should I wait a few days before going back into them, or should I go ahead and feed them, and then leave them alone?

Question number 2.  They have Frame feeders already installed.  I have read about drowning the bees and was wondering if I put a couple of shipping peanuts into the feeder, would that help, or would that harm the bees?

These girls are really gentle, and I dont want to do anything that would change that.

I am sure I will have plenty of questions in the future, but as for now, I can't wait to sit back and watch them do their thing.
If at first you don't succeed, Skydiving may not be for you.

Offline John Schwartz

• House Bee
    • The Bee Farm
Re: We're BEE Owners!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 01:17:53 pm »
Finally.......  Bought 2 established hives from a local beekeeper in our club, and moved them last night.  They are both about 65 to 75 percent drawn.  Can't tell you how excited I am to have started our "Beeyard". 

Way to go! Glad for ya.

Now I have a couple of questions.   I know that you shouldnt go into the hives too often, but he said I should feed them.  Should I wait a few days before going back into them, or should I go ahead and feed them, and then leave them alone?

I'm guessing the nectar flow is going strong in Texas? I would ask a local Beek if they are needing feed. What did the guy you bought them from say?

Question number 2.  They have Frame feeders already installed.  I have read about drowning the bees and was wondering if I put a couple of shipping peanuts into the feeder, would that help, or would that harm the bees?

Adding some floating material certainly won't hurt. Lots of different opinions on this topic. Feel free to try different things and learn. A search of the forum will pull up lots of info/suggestions on this.
―John Schwartz, theBee.Farm

Offline Cossack

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 02:42:53 pm »
Congrats Wunderdawg,

I use several small stones built up this allows them not to drown.  Good Luck.
I had a dream last night, I was eating a 10 pound marshmallow. I woke up this morning and the pillow was gone.....

Offline Tucker1

• House Bee
  • "The Morning Breaks, The Shadows Flee.....
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 06:34:21 pm »
I find that clean/new paint stirring sticks work really well. You can cut them to length.  Just about anything will do. You can also tack on a bit of nylon window screen on the side of the feeder to help the bees keep their grip.  You will lose a few bees to drowning, regardless.  Good luck with your new hives. Have fun !

Regards,
Tucker
He who would gather honey must bear the sting of the bees.

Offline EasternShore

• House Bee
  • Tending 50K angry insects is just .........crazy!
    • OMG Apiary
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 06:54:37 pm »
I use pine cones...as said by other..you will lose a few.

Go look at them..SHEEEZE...My girls could care less about me...unless it's over cast or raining...then don't even think about it.
Anything worth doing is worth doing well.
We are the keepers, it is our duty to preserve life.

Offline tlynn

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009, 06:57:13 pm »
Congrats!  Another one hooked for life!

Offline jason58104

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2009, 07:10:59 pm »
The best thing i have found is a wodden entrance reducer.  Cheap and effective. 

Offline slaphead

• House Bee
  • Obsessive, compulsive & happy
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2009, 01:50:24 am »
Congratulations
The only thing we have to fear is fear itself - FDR, 1933

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2009, 01:04:19 pm »
Congrats. I can post some pic.s of how I feed mine if you like: I use an inverted container on top of an inner cover, with an empty honey super placed over so I can put the outer cover on for the weather. changing the feed takes minimal disturbance as they are briefly exposed through the open hole in the inner cover.
I'm still very much a new beekeeper BUT: I suspect they stay gentle (in part) by being used to you being around (visiting outside the entrance while leaving room for their traffic) -I can't swear to this but they will head butt me if they haven't seen me in a few days.
be happy and make others happy.

Offline Bee Whisper82

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2009, 02:03:02 pm »
Congratulations

I have just started with beekeeping and reading all of these forums are helping me too.

Thanks