Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Inspected 2nd year hive  (Read 2357 times)

Offline 1hivegoin

• New Bee
Inspected 2nd year hive
« on: April 09, 2009, 11:48:58 pm »
My daughter and I did our first inspection of the season last weekend.  Saw pretty much what we were expecting, except, no eggs, larvae or capped brood.  I am in Seattle and we really have not had any decent weather until last weekend.  I put medicated (fumagil) sugar water on about a month ago.  Population seemed about right, I'd guess I had 4 frames full of bees.  We saw the queen with her attendants, but no brood.  They have not been taking the sugar water, and there was honey in places in the hive.  I swapped the deeps and cleaned up the bottom board and added some clean foundation to the top deep.  I am just really surprised that I saw no brood.  Should I be worried, or did I just miss something.

Offline 1reb

• Super Bee
Re: Inspected 2nd year hive
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 11:56:55 pm »
Hello and Welcome 1hivegoin
There is alot of great information on the forum !!
The members here are willing help and answer your questions, all you need to do is to ask
Johnny 

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 12:05:59 am »
1hivegoin.  One thing at a time, welcome to our forum, so nice that you have found us.  This can be a place where you can lean on us for advice, like you are, a place to tell your stories, tales, experiences, and best of all make new friends!!!  8-) :lol:...Stick around, cause we love new members.

You are in the PNW, as am I, and quite a few other forum members.  It has been a dreadfully cold and dreary spring.  I lost 8 of 9 colonies. The one that I have left is doing fairly well.  BUT....I did that first inspection recently, a few days ago, because the weather has been so bad I daren't go inside it.  I saw two frames with softball size patches of brood.  Unheard of here.  By now, the colony should have several frames of capped brood.  Naughta.  We are in the middle of April for cryin' out loud!!!  Anyways.  I think that perhaps your queen will get going really soon.  If the colony cluster was pretty small, the bees would not allow the queen to lay, they will only allow her to lay what they can successfully keep warm and feed.  THis is another extremely cold spring, just like last year.  But just hang tough, things will improve.  Right, again, welcome.  Have that most wonderful and awesome day, life, health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline 1hivegoin

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 12:28:34 am »
Thank you.  I will hang tough and see what's happeining on the next inspection.  I've ordered two more packages, so at least I'll be busier later this month.  Thanks for the kind welcome.

Offline indypartridge

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2009, 07:10:49 am »
I've ordered two more packages...
So will you be sorry you picked "1hivegoin" as a username? :)

Glad you found us. I'm sure you'll find this forum a great place to learn more about bees & beekeeping. Be sure to update your profile to help us remember where you are. As Cindi noted, depending on where you are located, the answers to your questions may be quite different.

anything