Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: scabiosa columbaria ("pincushion/butterfly blue") ~> macro photography  (Read 7635 times)

Offline Dane Bramage

• Field Bee
Greetings all,

I found a new, unknown flower in my front yard area.  Posting up to see if anyone can help me ID them.  

I really like these ones because each bloom had a single bee absolutely entranced.  I took a couple of shots, noticed they were just staying put working the cluster, had time to go get my macro lens and take even more.  Below are both close-up & macro pics... perhaps not the best for an ID but I can describe &/or go get more images.

Cheers,
Dane
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 11:16:05 am by Dane Bramage »

Offline adgjoan

• House Bee
Re: Flower ID ~> macro photography
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 06:50:08 am »
Nice pics, Dane.  Looks like scabiosa or pincoushion flower to me.  It gets a very interesting seed head on it.  Did you plant it or did it grow wild?  I will have to put that one on my plant list for next year.

Joan

Offline Joshb12885

• New Bee
Re: Flower ID ~> macro photography
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 09:25:57 am »
I will second that. It is definately scabiosa. I have them planted near my bees and I always see them working the flowers. They are concidered a good butterfly garden plant so I assume they are heavy nectar producers.

josh

Offline Dane Bramage

• Field Bee
Thank you kindly Joan & Josh.  I think you're both right (& I updated the thread title).

They were probably planted here.  There's so much around my place.  The original owners really planted many and diverse variety of plants.  I've spent many years just attempting to ID them (& separate them from the weeds).  ;)

Here's a couple more images from yesterday:

Cheers,
Dane

Offline Joshb12885

• New Bee
Dane, if you have any more plant photos I could probably aide in the ID's if it is a cultivated species or variety either I will know or I can ask one of my horticulture buddies about it. I checked out your apiary website Looks like a fun place.

Josh

Offline Dane Bramage

• Field Bee
Thanks Josh - I really appreciate that as I'm often at a loss for IDs and there really is so much growing here.  My website needs to be updated (desperately) with my image blog.

Here's a few "testers" to see how good you are.. heh

(tree, starting to bloom now)

(shrub, flowers in late November)

queue the jeopardy music!   ;)

Cheers,
Dane

Offline adgjoan

• House Bee
I always enjoy your posts, Dane.  You must be having a boat load of fun looking at all the plants showing up at your place. 

Joan

Offline Dane Bramage

• Field Bee
Thank you kindly Joan!  I really do enjoy it, photography too.  I only need more time (= less work) to do so.  Still, whenever I can take a break, and have the time & energy to do so, capturing images of the bees @ work is really rewarding in that kind of "nature/life is awe-inspiring" perspective-refreshing way.  The I go back to the grind.. hahaha   :-P

Just starting to bloom again now ~>

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
Way to go Dane!
I dont have a clue as to what the plants are, but I do know a good pic when I see one!
GREAT pictures!

your friend,
john

Offline Cheryl

• House Bee
  • top bar beekeeper
Those are all really nice! I love looking at your photos :D
We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.

~ Aristotle

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
Thanks Josh - I really appreciate that as I'm often at a loss for IDs and there really is so much growing here.  My website needs to be updated (desperately) with my image blog.

Here's a few "testers" to see how good you are.. heh

(tree, starting to bloom now)

Mimosa!! Says I!!

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
    • Nectar Meadows Apiaries
Your camera takes excellent pictures.  Do you mind telling me what brand and model camera you are using.

thank You

bee-nuts
The moment a person forms a theory, his imagination sees in every object only the traits which favor that theory

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Dane Bramage

• Field Bee
Thanks John & Cheryl!  :)

You're right on that one Annette.  But no more helping Josh!   ;)

Thanks bee-nuts.  I'm using this (rather old, in tech terms) cam ~> Olympus E-20N

Cheers,
Dane

Offline adgjoan

• House Bee
Now,Dane, I want to know how you took a pic of your camera?LOL

Come on,Josh, what is the white flower?

Joan

Offline Joshb12885

• New Bee
sorry for the late reply, The one with the pink tufts is definately a mimosa tree, or silk tree (Albizia julibrissin), White flowered one looks like a type of Asclepias (milkweed),  the purple flowered one is a purple loostrife (Lythrum salicaria). How did I do? I was unsure about the Asclepias as it isnt a type we have in ohio although I know it is a diverse genus with similar flowers. let me know and send some more.

Josh

Offline Dane Bramage

• Field Bee
lol @ Joan  ;)

Good show Josh.  You're 2/3 so far.. but that 2nd one isn't really fair with just a single photo, close-up of one flower.  Here's a bigger image or an entire shrub/bush:

Those leaves are HUGE!  Green all year round &, remember, flowers in late Nov. (weird eh?).  Definitely not indigenous to the PNW (seems to do well though, I've two huge bushes). 

I wish I had acres of mimosa trees.  Really curious to see what that honey would be like.  8-)

I won't quiz you any more - heh - but I'll definitely be on the look out for more unusual nectar sources and post them up.

Cheers,
Dane

Offline Joshb12885

• New Bee
Japanese aralia??

That is my best guess after doing some looking through my hort books :)

Josh

Offline Dane Bramage

• Field Bee
That's the one! ~  Fatsia Japonica

I couldn't figure it out for a long time.  Posted up where there were a lot of guesses & then I found the old tag still wrapped around it's base, lol!  Hard to believe it was still there and legible after all those years.

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
Man, Josh!! You are steamrollin'! you really know your plants!!!
your friend,
john

anything