Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hands off our Vegemite  (Read 75491 times)

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
Re: Hands off our Vegemite
« Reply #140 on: December 11, 2009, 04:57:31 pm »
How about a koala bear baby for me :rainbowflower:

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #141 on: December 11, 2009, 10:51:23 pm »

I did try the vegemite again this week and all I can say is, I can't understand this stuff. It really tastes bad to me. Sorry guys but I love you all anyway even though you eat this stuff, must be something you have to start eating as a baby or something??

So JP trust me, you would not like this at all. You know that John isn't in his right mind and he probably doesn't even know what he is eating at the moment. Do not go there at all.

Sorry guys but very strange food indeed.

Annette, you make me laugh and I get such a kick out of the things that you say, I trust your words.  I think John is not in his right mind either (oops, did I say that  :-P , John, smiling).  Why do people eat this crap?  It sounds like that is what it is to me, surely there must be better tasting things out there.

:-P :-P to all of you that eat Vegemite, smiling (I know this is gonna raise the roof I bet, smiling again, and again, and again  8-) :-P :-P  Have the best of a wonderful day, love life, love health, and have great health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #142 on: December 11, 2009, 11:15:43 pm »
JP...Have I ever told you wrong before?? Cindi just has northern tastebuds and they dont work the same as ours....Southern tastebuds are a little more "Cultural"//Ours have a need for different tastes or they arent happy! :-D

your friend,
john

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #143 on: December 11, 2009, 11:22:07 pm »
Oh John,  :lol: :lol: :-D :-D, you make me laugh too, northern tastebuds, huh!!!!!  Love ya, friend.  Have a most wonderful and awesome day and life to go along with it, with great health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
« Reply #144 on: December 11, 2009, 11:34:39 pm »
wonderful day, love life, love health, and have great health

We attribute this to the vegemite.

Lone

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #145 on: December 12, 2009, 01:06:06 am »
My wife is from the land of bland is what I tell her. She's from Long Island, New York. Everything here is too this too that, I have no idea what she's talking about.

I love my seasonings and spice. I put tobasco on pbj sangas (for the Aussies!) and love it!

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #146 on: December 12, 2009, 01:13:14 am »
Wait a second JP. Are you insinuating that people from back east have bland taste buds???    :whip: :whip:

I for one, love my spices.

OK JP go ahead and taste the vegemite and get it over with already :evil: :evil:

Offline mick

• Queen Bee
« Reply #147 on: December 13, 2009, 03:39:58 am »
I forgot to tell yall that when crushed peas and urine fails, Vegemite is good for pressure sores.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #148 on: December 13, 2009, 09:34:29 am »
Wait a second JP. Are you insinuating that people from back east have bland taste buds???    :whip: :whip:

I for one, love my spices.

OK JP go ahead and taste the vegemite and get it over with already :evil: :evil:

To the contrary Annette, my wife's taste buds just can't handle our spices cause she's been babyfied from eating food with zero flavoring. :shock:

Have to get the vegemite to try it, will let y'all know.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline KD4MOJ

• Field Bee
  • Bees... Motorcycles... amateur radio...
    • TangleWood Apiary
Re: Hands off our Vegemite - I tried to find some...
« Reply #149 on: December 14, 2009, 11:13:44 am »
Hey Slick:

I went to the grocery store on Friday looking for some Vegemite, to no avail. I really wanted to try it... but I had to settle on Caviar & cream cheese.

I'll keep my eyes open... may have to try the local health food market.

...DOUG
KD4MOJ

Offline Mason

• House Bee
« Reply #150 on: December 14, 2009, 02:06:32 pm »
Well,

either my first attempt at was a colossal flop or that stuff is the nastiest stuff on the planet. 

I am off to acquire some some actual Vegemite to use as a benchmark and will keep you posted.   
Former beekeeper until March....maybe next year...RIP

Offline Mason

• House Bee
« Reply #151 on: December 16, 2009, 11:19:01 am »
Well,

I located an Australian bakery in Marietta GA that sells Vegemite.  They have extended business hours every Tuesday so last night I made my way up to their location.  I soon realized that the extended hours are primarily for the local blue grass musicians to congregate and jam.  There was about 20 people picking and grinning and I took a few minutes to enjoy the local sounds,  purchased two small jars of Vegemite and made my way home.

I didn't have any bread so pulled out some crackers and butter and went in for my first taste.  That is some malty tasting stuff.  It must have been invented by a monk because it goes great with dark beer.  The taste was so surprising it took me a few crackers of the stuff to get into it.  Fortunately I liked it because I had no idea that the taste was going to be with me for hours.  In fact the taste continued to repeat throughout the night.  It really sticks with you.

I would not put it on the same level as AC/DC but never the less certainly a great contribution from the Aussies.  The other jar will be a stocking stuffer for my brother. 
Former beekeeper until March....maybe next year...RIP

Offline SlickMick

• Field Bee
« Reply #152 on: December 16, 2009, 05:21:54 pm »
Great story Mason.. if your brother is anything like you he'll enjoy the stocking stuffer :-D

Mick

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
« Reply #153 on: December 16, 2009, 08:30:24 pm »
Mase, I've heard of the Australian Bakery Cafe.  They talk about it on the bluegrass show I listen to.  I think they came from Bendigo in Victoria, where one of the bluegrass DJs is.  He spent hours there when he visited GA.

Doug, you should be able to order vegemite from any one of those links I found above, or visit any grocery store in Australia.  Or visit the aussie bakery cafe.  But if you do, you'll just have to try the lammies as well.

Lone

Offline SlickMick

• Field Bee
« Reply #154 on: December 23, 2009, 03:52:46 am »
Hey guys.. yeah you fellas in the States.. have ya pulled the pin on Vegemite, ya wankers  :-D

Slicko

Offline KD4MOJ

• Field Bee
  • Bees... Motorcycles... amateur radio...
    • TangleWood Apiary
« Reply #155 on: December 23, 2009, 09:10:09 am »
Hey guys.. yeah you fellas in the States.. have ya pulled the pin on Vegemite, ya wankers  :-D

Slicko

Never pull the plug on an active project!  :) I'm going Xmas shopping today at lunch and the health food store (the one that probably has it) is close by my stops. So.... I might be able to give you a report this afternoon! So onward, the Vegemite Quest goes.....

...DOUG
KD4MOJ

Offline luvin honey

• Super Bee
« Reply #156 on: December 23, 2009, 11:26:37 am »
Good grief, Slicko.  I had vague recollections of the very first post, something along the lines of "Hands off our Vegemite".  I know a lot has happened since then, and it has been buried in the mists of countless crates of fresh vegemite and poor gagging americans, but do you remember at all, many months ago, who actually had their hands on our vegemite and what they are doing to it?  I think I read somewhere about combining the real deal with <choke> cheese, in the hopes of finding a stateside market.  Is that what they have done to it?  I realise that the nameless previously dubbed i snack 2.0 has something of this combination; will this goop be the only pseudo vegemite available outside of Australia??  And has anyone actually eaten it and lived to tell about the experience??  And did we sell Kraft to America? Maybe Dick Smith will borrow Mas's recipe and have an Australian made and owned vegemite, although he will have to mimic it and call it vegetite or something for copyright reasons.  And the greatest mystery of all: Did Barra name his boat Barra yet?

Nettie dear, I think you have missed one very vital point.  Vegemite has many many health benefits, and you too will be sure to grow at least half a metre in height and probably grow hair on your chest.  Look at Barra as a shining example, how healthy and robust he has become.  If you carefully examine the label on your little jar, you will see it contains folate.  As everyone knows, this is good for pregnancy.  In short, if you don't have any children now, you soon will have.  Keep eating it  :)

Malvern Star

Lone and all the rest of you Aussies--I now have scrambled eggs spewed all over my computer screen!!! You are the stinkiest funny people I have ever had the pleasure to meet!

Hmmm... vegemite. If it has the word veggie in it, I'm in!
The pedigree of honey
Does not concern the bee;
A clover, any time, to him
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #157 on: December 23, 2009, 11:47:57 pm »
Huh???....Pull the plug????
 NO WAY!
I'm gonna have to buy another case soon!!! :-D

your friend,
john

Offline SlickMick

• Field Bee
« Reply #158 on: December 24, 2009, 01:29:06 am »

Lone and all the rest of you Aussies--I now have scrambled eggs spewed all over my computer screen!!! You are the stinkiest funny people I have ever had the pleasure to meet!

Hmmm... vegemite. If it has the word veggie in it, I'm in!

Sure glad I'm not your computer :shock:

Slicko the Micko

Offline SlickMick

• Field Bee
« Reply #159 on: December 24, 2009, 01:42:36 am »
Hey Barra, I saw some of ya relations at the fish market this morning when I went to get the Chrissy tucker.. prawns (dont come the raw prawn with me) or shrimps to you fellas, oysters (clams) sandys (crabs) and mussels. Poor bloody barras they'd been scaled and gutted so ya wouldnta recognised em without their clothes on..  only question I have is do ya know what side of the family they came from :-D

I am glad to see that there are some of you who live over the pond have the nads to give the old Vegemite a lick and then say they like it.. goes to show that there are some of you with manners who dont want to offend their Aussie mates... not like some.. eh! Nette, Nette.. Nette.. are ya gunna give er another crack after ya downed a couple of Chrissie sherberts eh?

Mick

Oi I gotta say this I ope's ya all have a beaut Chrissy and that ya dont drink too much of that bubbly stuff and get too angry to op on the forum and give us the bees nees

Oi an I ope that Santa is good to ya and that ya bees live appily ever after  :roll: