Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hands off our Vegemite  (Read 75487 times)

Offline Sparky

• Field Bee
Re: Hands off our Vegemite
« Reply #160 on: December 24, 2009, 04:57:41 pm »
From over the pond as you say Mick. Have a MERRY CHRISTMAS !! As far as to much bubbly, the morning of Christmas is usually slow going and my bestess friend will be the coffee maker after spending the eve with my in laws. They like to have a few beers with the eggnog.  :-D

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #161 on: December 24, 2009, 10:16:12 pm »
No SlickMick, I am done with the vegemite but I wish all of you who can eat this stuff, all the wealth, health in the world. 

Merry Christmas!!!!

Offline Mason

• House Bee
« Reply #162 on: January 09, 2010, 12:52:52 pm »
My brother got his Vegemite for Christmas this year and I am very disappointed to report his reaction.  He actually asked me if you could use it to pack trailer bearings.  I was really surprised he did not care for it in the least.  Here was his response:

OK…here is my review.

I found myself excited to get Vegemite in my Christmas stocking.  After all…things from Australia are cool.  I like to be cool.  I envisioned myself sitting in a corporate meeting over lunch and pulling out my Vegemite sandwich in the middle of an inquisitive crowd.  When questioned…I would casually inform them that I had a Vegemite sandwich…you know…like in the song. 

I was told…toast, butter and then a thin (less is more) layer of the pungent butter.  (Yeast…hmmmm.  Beer has yeast.)  So that is what I did this morning.  Fresh toast, butter and just enough Vegemite to where I could still see the bread beneath it.  It smells like beef bouillon…kinda sweet and beefy.  So I took my first bite and quite honestly…it was waste of a perfectly good piece of toast. 

You guys have to be kidding me.  There was no sweet, no beef but only  bitter.  And plenty of it.  Maybe it would work better in some kind of Gin cocktail????  I was disappointed.  Less so that it tasted like the bottom of my shoe but more that I didn’t connect with the Aussie vibe.  I mean I had the most fun in my life with a bunch of Aussies in Orlando at an international sales meeting.  I dig ya’ll.  And I’m no stranger to weird foods…I’m an Italian from New Orleans.  Had turtle, alligator, blood sausage, rattle snake, boudin, grits, caribou, buffalo, head cheese, etc. 

I now live in fear that I may also not be cut out for a “walkabout”, or wallaby stew or that even a Fosters might now somehow not work.  Oh well…it was just one piece of toast wasted huh? 

You need to ship over some boudin to those boys! 

Michael

email: michaelorr@pointzmarketing.com 
Former beekeeper until March....maybe next year...RIP

Offline SlickMick

• Field Bee
« Reply #163 on: January 09, 2010, 04:03:40 pm »
Well, Mason, that is such a huge disappointment for you.. I can't imagine what it must feel like to have your own flesh and blood reject the good old vegemite toast, but I suppose being an Italian from New Orleans was not the ideal starting point.

But don't let that hold you back.. it takes all kinds to make the world and in some cases, a family

Mick

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
« Reply #164 on: January 10, 2010, 06:37:13 am »
All I can say to Michael is...all the more for us!

Yes, if he were Australian, he would have brought shame to his entire family, town, state, and country, not to mention planet, but the fact that he is a New Orleans Italian will probably let him off having any convictions in an Australian Law Court. Use of vegemite to grease bearings is banned in most regions, however.  But the worst of it for Michael is that he just ain't cool   8-)
(Has he considered taking the vegemite sandwich into the meetings and holding globs of it inside his cheeks till the meeting is finished so he can at least pretend to be cool?)

Anyway, Nette, you have another member in your club.

Lone     

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
« Reply #165 on: January 10, 2010, 06:43:05 am »
I just noticed that Michael works in marketing? 

Maybe he can use his skills to market vegemite to the USA? 

It might be a challenge, given his personal views, but this would be a professional arrangement  :)

Offline SlickMick

• Field Bee
« Reply #166 on: January 10, 2010, 06:56:11 am »
Lone, I'm looking at that Vegemite toast and salivating

YUMMMMM  8-)

Slicko

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #167 on: January 10, 2010, 03:33:24 pm »
But I don't need the vegemite sandwich to look cool :-D :-D :-D

Offline Honeycomb king

• House Bee
« Reply #168 on: March 28, 2016, 09:47:03 pm »
Easy day at home with the kids after camping with friends over Easter, accidentally came across this thread. Very funny, very australian with good "cross the pond humor".
Well done slick mick and others. I think it's the most read thread in this down under part of the forum and no mention of bees and the world around them.

Offline SlickMick

• Field Bee
« Reply #169 on: March 31, 2016, 02:07:27 am »
Easy day at home with the kids after camping with friends over Easter, accidentally came across this thread. Very funny, very australian with good "cross the pond humor".
Well done slick mick and others. I think it's the most read thread in this down under part of the forum and no mention of bees and the world around them.

Good heavens HK it's hard to believe that the good old Vegemite thread rears its head again after all these years. I must admit we have a ton of fun at the time.

I see that over time there are some of us who have stuck around whilst others appear to have gone AWOL.

I see that JP is still learning his cutouts but we still have to learn about his Vegemite sanger. Annette still comes on board but minus Vegemite.. Lone from north Qld is still active while Mason has been out of it for a while. Pity because I believe that he became addicted to good old Vegemite, buying it by the case. Hiya Cathyp.

Of course there were many others who contributed to the humour of the thread.

But for now I would like to ask JP did he eventually get around to eating his Vegemite sandwich?

And for those of you who don't know, Vegemite is like mother's milk to Aussies and that ex-pats can't believe that it's not universal. Of course at ex-pat meetings everyone has to sing the Vegemite jingle before any business is done. And, if any of you are going to Rio for the Olympics you might be able to beg borrow or steal some Vegemite from the Aussie team because they've got a container load going down just to keep them in shape and to give them a head start in all the events.

Mick

Offline beeutiful

• New Bee
« Reply #170 on: March 31, 2016, 10:22:15 pm »
I love, love, love Vegemite!!!  Warm toast, melted butter and a thin layer of vegemite! Its the best in fact I am going to go have some now!

Great post SlickMick :happy:

Offline SlickMick

• Field Bee
« Reply #171 on: April 01, 2016, 03:19:51 am »
Yum

Mick

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
« Reply #172 on: April 01, 2016, 02:52:09 pm »
Got deal for the friends down under. You keep the Vegemite and will keep the whitelightning. When we get together we well still bring the brew and you all bring the shrimp for the bar bi.
 :wink: :cool:

John

Offline Honeycomb king

• House Bee
« Reply #173 on: April 01, 2016, 06:21:28 pm »
Moved 80 hives yesterday, then when I got to the destination had to work through 90, all  before the 6 hour drive home.all up 900kms and a 20 hour day.
This morning is "beekeepers breakfast".two pieces of toast with Vegemite under baked beans, topped with two eggs. High protein lots of good nutrients, stops the body aching. It's our regular during pollination season.  Oh and some coffee.
That's my favorite Vegemite recipe. What's yours ......anyone.

Offline SlickMick

• Field Bee
« Reply #174 on: April 01, 2016, 10:24:50 pm »
What a big day! No wonder you had to put Vegemite under those beans.

Vegemite on fresh bread and butter for lunch

Vegemite on buttered toast for brekkie

Mick

Offline Lancej

• House Bee
« Reply #175 on: April 02, 2016, 12:11:11 am »
My misses can't stand even the smell of black butter, it's one of the few things that will make her leave the room!

So first problem, getting into the house. DONE

Second problem, training the kids to love it. DONE and DONE

Third problem, making her make sangers for the kids, DONE

My entertainment at her expense when we eat it, great!

Do we leave the lid off the jar, as much as possible.

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
« Reply #176 on: April 02, 2016, 12:53:18 am »
My misses can't stand even the smell of black butter, it's one of the few things that will make her leave the room!

So first problem, getting into the house. DONE

Second problem, training the kids to love it. DONE and DONE

Third problem, making her make sangers for the kids, DONE

My entertainment at her expense when we eat it, great!

Do we leave the lid off the jar, as much as possible.

And she hasn't devorced you yet! That that is true love . for the kids that is. :tongue:

John

Offline SlickMick

• Field Bee
« Reply #177 on: April 02, 2016, 03:08:07 am »
We just make our Sheilas tough

Mick

Offline Honeycomb king

• House Bee
« Reply #178 on: April 02, 2016, 06:01:18 am »
When we camp out for a few days. One of the favorite meals for the camp is "Vegemite basted rabbit"  cooked in the camp oven we will use Vegemite to bast or butter all over the rabbit, add some juice in the way of whatever we have a can of soup or baked beans.  This provides enough moisture that the rabbit often needs.  The vegie gives that nice bit of added bush, spray the lid of the camp oven with eucalyptus spray and the "aussie bush" effect is complete.
If your short of some stock or juice another method is to butter bread then add the Vegemite to your liking on the bread. Then rap the bread around the rabbit pieces then rap it in foil. Put the foiled rabbit into the camp oven over some hot coals and put hot coals on the lid as well.  The bread rap stops the rabbit  from burning on the base of the camp oven. Check it in half an hour and you can figure the rest out from there. Even better with some stout.

Enjoy that next time you or under the stars for the night. Bee good.

Offline amun-ra

• House Bee
« Reply #179 on: April 02, 2016, 09:49:22 am »
Last year some time I spoke with JP and he don't like the black butter I personally like it on toast vianna bread with thick butter and thick veg topped with avacado yum yum yum
Every day the sun shines and gravity sucks= free energy