Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hands off our Vegemite  (Read 75521 times)

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
Re: Hands off our Vegemite
« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2009, 12:18:17 am »
Scadsobees, I can only tell you that I hadn't had any for a while and the other day when I took a vege sanger to work, I was salivating like a kelpie over a rotting roo.

Johnny, if you are going to be an aussie, we can call you Barra, the aussie name for big fish.

Lone the happy little vegemite.

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2009, 01:28:07 pm »
Hey buddy, this is an ENGLISH speaking forum!!!  I'm not sure what you just said...

:-D
Rick

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2009, 07:54:29 pm »
I like "Barra". I might just paint it on my boat since I havent given it a name yet!
 I think I'll name my wife,"' Old Tante Koba"..
I remember that song from a music book from about the 2nd 0r 3rd grade..
It went like this:

Ol' Tante Koba she is so old,
She stirs her coffee with her own big toe!"....(Thats all I remember)
your friend,
john

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2009, 02:34:59 pm »
I did it!! I got a case coming!
And....I bet it taste great in a Ritz!....I'll let you know what I think!

your friend,
john

John I meant to tell you that you are the craziest dude I ever met.  Ordering a whole case of something you don't know if you will like it.   I ordered the smallest jar available, but who knows I might be begging you to send me a few jars.  Did it arrive yet??

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2009, 12:03:09 am »
Not here yet annette, but I bet it gets here monday or tuesday. I'll set it right next to the 30 lbs of brown bottom candy corn I ordered about a month ago...Want any Brown bottom candy corn? I got plenty!

your friend,
john

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2009, 02:15:20 am »
I just started reading this post and ask my Daughter if she tried Vegemite when she was down under and she said yes everyone tried it and it was Horrible, she couldn't believe someone would eat it on purpose  then she showed me this video of a girl trying it and said this was the most common reaction when she was trying it. I watched it and couldn't help but laugh

Package from Australia! Ugh Vegemite!
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 02:34:28 am by TwT »
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline Koala John

• House Bee
« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2009, 06:56:38 am »
Common newbie mistake there. Especially if you haven't had it before, you have to spread it on VERY VERY THIN. As in just a tiny amount.
I remember watching the Today Show when they did a broadcast of the Americas Cup in Western Australia in the late eighties, and Willard Scott decided to sample some Vegemite. I watched in complete horror as he spread it on a slice of bread like peanut butter. He must have put a whole tablespoon on there, if not more. The look on his face was priceless, poor guy! It's like a beautiful rare spice, you just use a little, it's not a bland filling like processed cheese that you scoop on. Sorry to labour the point, us Aussies are passionate about Vegemite! I am very impressed that some of you guys are going to give it a go  :-D :-D

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2009, 08:04:40 am »
Vegemite is our staple diet!  It's like rice is to the Philippines - we don't feel satiated till we've had a big bowl of it twice a day.  Our other staple diet is of course staples, but I'll leave that for a new topic.  I think Nettie and Barra will love it.

Lone

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2009, 05:48:12 pm »
OK guys, I received it and I tried it. I think I made the mistake of also putting a bit to much on my bagel, (did not have white bread in the house) but I really did not like it!!!

I am going to give it another try, with white bread and very little on this time.

It smells sort of cheesy and yes like a beef buillon cube. Actually wonder if soup can be made out of this.

Anyway, will give it another try, but if I don't like it, can I still come to Australia??

Offline Koala John

• House Bee
« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2009, 05:55:58 pm »
We will welcome you with open arms Annette. Just keep your dirty little secret of not liking Vegemite quiet though, to avoid any trouble with the locals!

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2009, 06:01:28 pm »
Hello Nettie,

We are all excited for you.  Perhaps you would prefer it on white toast instead of bread. Try buttering the bread or toast first, and yes, spread it thinly the first couple of times.  You could try it in a salad sandwich too.  You can make a hot drink by adding hot water to a lump of vegemite in a cup.  It's a bit like bonox.
Here's a recipe for soup using vegemite:
http://www.vegemite.com.au/vegemite/page?siteid=vegemite-prd&locale=auen1&PagecRef=568

You can still come to Australia because you like honey.

Lone
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 08:55:14 pm by Lone »

Offline SlickMick

• Field Bee
« Reply #51 on: November 16, 2009, 06:10:20 pm »
We forgive you Nette :-D

Mick

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #52 on: November 16, 2009, 06:14:20 pm »
Hey you guys are the best!! I will give it another try though, when I can get to the store to buy bread.

Thanks
Annette

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #53 on: November 16, 2009, 06:14:45 pm »
annette, thank you for trying it out.  can we call you Mikey now?   :-D  :evil:
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #54 on: November 16, 2009, 06:16:48 pm »
Not here yet annette, but I bet it gets here monday or tuesday. I'll set it right next to the 30 lbs of brown bottom candy corn I ordered about a month ago...Want any Brown bottom candy corn? I got plenty!

your friend,
john

Good luck John!!! I made the mistake of putting to much on at once.  Be careful and do it right.  I am going back to the drawing board and try again.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #55 on: November 16, 2009, 06:17:38 pm »
annette, thank you for trying it out.  can we call you Mikey now?   :-D  :evil:

Did you ever try it??

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #56 on: November 16, 2009, 06:22:40 pm »
somehow i missed that delicacy when i was there.  i'll be sure to try it if i ever go back.  native foods often taste better in their native land!

Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #57 on: November 16, 2009, 06:24:27 pm »
somehow i missed that delicacy when i was there.  i'll be sure to try it if i ever go back.  native foods often taste better in their native land!

Yes that is so true, it is all part of the experience of being there.

Offline Meadlover

• House Bee
« Reply #58 on: November 16, 2009, 07:46:29 pm »
Hey you guys are the best!! I will give it another try though, when I can get to the store to buy bread.

Thanks
Annette
Annette,

I and most people I know generally have vegemite this way:
1. On toast not bread (tastes much stronger on bread)
2. With butter - for god sake if you're new to vegemite butter the toast!!! (without butter tastes stronger and not as good)
3. Spread VERY thinly - you should still be able to see parts of buttered toast that aren't covered in vegemite that's how thin it needs to be.

I hope your 2nd try of vegemite is more pleasant  8-)

ML

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #59 on: November 16, 2009, 07:48:20 pm »
Yes,  I will do this correctly next time.  I did  butter the bagel, but placed to much vegemite on top of it.  Need to be much less.