Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hands off our Vegemite  (Read 75535 times)

Offline SlickMick

• Field Bee
Re: Hands off our Vegemite
« Reply #80 on: November 29, 2009, 02:48:42 am »
Nette, noticed you'd been AWL  :-D

Slicko

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #81 on: November 29, 2009, 12:34:28 pm »
Just keeping you on track Nette  :-D
Hope you had a good hol. Betcha didn't take the Vegemite  :-D
Slicko

Was visiting my brother and his kids. My niece was in Australia last year and I ran this post by her to see what she thinks.  She said she smelled it but could go no further when visiting down under. She loved those Tam Tams (sp?)

By the way, have you noticed that John hasn't posted much since eating all that vegemite??  Hee! Hee!

Offline Mason

• House Bee
« Reply #82 on: December 04, 2009, 05:05:13 pm »
I'm about ready to go for it.  My buddy handed me a big plastic tub of spent brewers yeast for my homemade vegemite project.  The only recipe I could find so far was this one:

Home-made Vegemite
1 dessertspoon celery salt
2 teaspoons tomato juice
2 teaspoons onion juice
125g compressed yeast
parisian essence to colour

Mince yeast and place in a saucepan, add remaining ingredients. Bring gently to the boil and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring constantly. Pour into small jars and seal.

If anyone finds a recipe that is more authentic or sound more interesting forward it on.  I'm hoping to whip up some of this gnarly concoction this weekend.
Former beekeeper until March....maybe next year...RIP

Offline Koala John

• House Bee
« Reply #83 on: December 04, 2009, 06:04:28 pm »
Mason I am full of admiration but also fear about your project. If you pull this off you'll probably make the newspapers in Australia - it's probably more impressive to an Aussie than wrestling a croc or being stung by a jellyfish!

Best of luck,
John.

Offline John Lee Pettimore

• House Bee
« Reply #84 on: December 04, 2009, 06:09:08 pm »
So actually it's a way to have a beer sandwich?

Leave it to the Aussies to come up with a way to make beer sandwiches... :shock:
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams.

Offline ziffabeek

• House Bee
« Reply #85 on: December 04, 2009, 09:53:50 pm »
@ Mason - vegemite is quite thick, thicker than peanut butter, it's more like . . . sticky frosting??, thinned out propolis??.  I can't see how reducing it for 15 minutes is going to get the right consistancy.  But good luck and let us know how it goes! I"ve never even considered trying to make my own lol. Verry interesting.

love,
ziffa

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
« Reply #86 on: December 04, 2009, 10:42:11 pm »
Ziffa, I hate to mention this, but if you really want to describe vegemite..it is the consistency and colour of meconium.  I wouldn't know if it tastes the same, though.

Mason, like all aussies, I didn't know it was possible to manufacture the magical stuff at home!  I am waiting with baited breath for the result.  Have you tried the original to compare it with?

Lone

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #87 on: December 04, 2009, 11:35:43 pm »
 Im here!! :-D
 I havent been out in the forums as much lately. But I'm eating vegemite at home, at work, at the computer....Just about everyday!!
 It still GREAT!..Just glob it on a saltine too!!! Its like candy! I just cant stop after I start!. I havent gotten to the point where I can eat it right from a spoon yet tho, But I do see it in the cards!
 I'll eat vegemite....wash it down with a coke....then eat a big bowl of Banana pudding Icecream( it has vanilla wafers in it too!)
 I gotta do something tho pretty soon...I'm now 263 lbs as of this afternoon!!!...The vegemite is good for you tho cuz its full of B vitamins!
 I think I'll go have a few dips right now!
your friend,
john

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #88 on: December 04, 2009, 11:45:02 pm »
I had no idea what this thread was about, will have to start at page one. John, man, sounds like you need to lay off this vegemite stuff! :-D

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #89 on: December 04, 2009, 11:58:29 pm »
OMG John!!!  I can't believe you are eating so much of this stuff, I don't think I would dare, I think it tastes like something just horrible, ich...have that wonderful day, with that great health. Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
« Reply #90 on: December 05, 2009, 12:03:42 am »
I had no idea what this thread was about, will have to start at page one

I just realised I don't know what this thread is about, either.  Slicko, would you explain please, what exactly are they doing to our vegemite?

Lone  :idunno:

Offline SlickMick

• Field Bee
« Reply #91 on: December 05, 2009, 03:54:13 am »
I think LoneStar (Star for short) that the thread has become quite convoluted. Here we have JohnnyBarra (Barra for short but not for long) eating cases of the stuff and either loving it or trying to be an Ossie. Then we have Annette whom we call Nette who has to send her daughter in to try the stuff cause she cant stand the smell. Gawdamit the smell has nothing to do with liking it. Vegemite is meant to be eaten.. didja get that Nette? Ya gotta eat the stuff, not go stuffing around and sniffing it.. ya know its not cocaine so ya dont have to sniff.. just eat, then you'll get your highs.

I have to say I'm impressed with Barra, Star, although his weight gain is a bit of a concern.. I wonder how many cases he bought and does he not want to waste his money?

Now I am impressed with Mason's attempt to make the dinkydi stuff. I hope he fails cause the yanks have too much of our iconic eaties anyhow.. BUT if he succeeds I want some shares in the company he floats. He'd be sure to get the OA (Order of Aus since they did away with the sir thing)

Now Cindi (Chookie in Strine) doesn't want to learn Strine and seems to be afraid to try the Black Stuff. Have no fear Chookie, millions of Aussies grew up eating the stuff and singing the jingle on their way to school along with the Aeroplane Jelly jingle and the Sorbent jingle... ie  What's the gentlest tissue in the bathroom you can issue, why its Sorbent Sorbent safest for sure.

Now I hope Star that I've sorted out how you are thinking about this thread. It is a really important one cause those in the US except for Barra seem to think there's something wrong with our eating habits and our cuisine.

There ya go

Slicko munchin on a vegemite sanga

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #92 on: December 05, 2009, 08:14:47 pm »
What are you talking about?  I don't have a daughter. And I tasted the vegemite after I sniffed it. 

I am almost ready for round #2. You see my sniffer has been out of commission due to this horrible flu I got over.  I am almost ready now to give it another shot.

John you are a crazy, crazy dude. You will be most welcome down under.  I on the other hand, will have to beg to get into OZ

Offline Geoff

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #93 on: December 05, 2009, 08:18:44 pm »
So long as you come toting the red umbrella Annette we will recognise you and we will say welcome.
Local Area Network in Australia - the LAN down under.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #94 on: December 05, 2009, 08:21:37 pm »
OH that is very sweet Geoff. Do the other blokes here agree with you?

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #95 on: December 05, 2009, 09:08:44 pm »
Annette, its not true that you don't have any daughters.

This vegemite stuff sounds like it stinks like bad cheese, uh uh, ain't going there!

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
« Reply #96 on: December 05, 2009, 09:50:10 pm »
Good grief, Slicko.  I had vague recollections of the very first post, something along the lines of "Hands off our Vegemite".  I know a lot has happened since then, and it has been buried in the mists of countless crates of fresh vegemite and poor gagging americans, but do you remember at all, many months ago, who actually had their hands on our vegemite and what they are doing to it?  I think I read somewhere about combining the real deal with <choke> cheese, in the hopes of finding a stateside market.  Is that what they have done to it?  I realise that the nameless previously dubbed i snack 2.0 has something of this combination; will this goop be the only pseudo vegemite available outside of Australia??  And has anyone actually eaten it and lived to tell about the experience??  And did we sell Kraft to America? Maybe Dick Smith will borrow Mas's recipe and have an Australian made and owned vegemite, although he will have to mimic it and call it vegetite or something for copyright reasons.  And the greatest mystery of all: Did Barra name his boat Barra yet?

Nettie dear, I think you have missed one very vital point.  Vegemite has many many health benefits, and you too will be sure to grow at least half a metre in height and probably grow hair on your chest.  Look at Barra as a shining example, how healthy and robust he has become.  If you carefully examine the label on your little jar, you will see it contains folate.  As everyone knows, this is good for pregnancy.  In short, if you don't have any children now, you soon will have.  Keep eating it  :)

Malvern Star

Offline philinacoma

• House Bee
« Reply #97 on: December 06, 2009, 07:54:49 am »
Tricky Dicky did do a version called "Aussiemite" a few years ago, but I havn't seen it around for a while. I seem to remember him being interviewed on the radio around that time saying they were still trying to perfect the recipe.  :lol:

As to the cheese mix, my two older kids like it.

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
« Reply #98 on: December 06, 2009, 08:54:06 am »
http://www.practicallyedible.com/edible.nsf/pages/ozemite

In my opinion, if all companies can do is try to mimic other products, even down to having a yellow and red label for mock vegemite, then it is inevitable they are destined for endless legal battles (and lack of consumer support).  I did contact Dick Smith a little while ago with my suggestions for improving their company, and did receive a nice reply.

Lone

Offline philinacoma

• House Bee
« Reply #99 on: December 06, 2009, 10:03:55 am »
I never knew Kraft was owned by Philip Morris. That gives me a reason to change buying habits.

How little a while ago did you contact DS? Any sign of them making changes?  :)