Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New Beekeeper from Ohio  (Read 2843 times)

Offline misfyredOhio

• House Bee
New Beekeeper from Ohio
« on: January 05, 2008, 05:12:02 pm »
Hi, I have one hive in Logan County (I live in Columbus). My first hive ended up with a dead queen and laying workers. It was early enough in the spring that I was able to purchase another package of Italians. This hive was thriving by August. I am very interested in expanding, but I feel like I don't know much of anything right now, despite reading books and forums. Hopefully, I didn't make too many mistakes last season and will have a hive of live bees come spring! Thanks for all of the helpful information!

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
Re: New Beekeeper from Ohio
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 05:56:15 pm »
Welcome to the forum. I can see that you have already asked a few questions. You will find lots of experienced beekeeps here that do not mind sharing their knowledge. Use the search feature to reasearch issues and jump in often.

Steve   
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline misfyredOhio

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 06:51:23 pm »
Thanks for the welcome. Unfortunately, it's difficult for me to learn by reading. I think I need to find someone who will let me help out in their bee yard once in awhile and show me how to do things. I also find it difficult that there are so many different opinions on topics! My head starts spinning!

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 08:21:30 pm »
I understand the feeling. I usually take an average, then go with my gut instinct.

Good Luck

Annette

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2008, 08:30:20 pm »
Welome to the forums.

See if you can find a local beekeepers club in your area.

Check out some of the beekeeping videos on you tube, Reading may not be the way you learn but there are lots of great videos on you tube that can be helpful.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2008, 10:42:04 am »
Thanks for the welcome. Unfortunately, it's difficult for me to learn by reading. I think I need to find someone who will let me help out in their bee yard once in awhile and show me how to do things. I also find it difficult that there are so many different opinions on topics! My head starts spinning!

MisfryedOhio.  I know that feeling of the head swimming.  I remember when I took my first courses in beekeeping, I would be so drained after two hours, in the evenings, once a week, that I thought I would never think again.  There will be a time when you won't have this swimming head, honestly.  There is so much to learn, but you will become more relaxed, the more you know.  There will always be so many different answers to a single question.  That will never change, every beekeeper has a slightly different response to a question.  You have to learn to compile these answers and pick the best one that suits you, most answers will always be right in one way or another, just another beekeeper's way of looking at it.  Good luck, it will become more easy.  Do you have a good beekeeping book to help you out too?  Have a great and wonderful day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2008, 09:31:08 pm »
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything