Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What do bees need to draw comb?  (Read 1768 times)

Offline dfizer

• House Bee
What do bees need to draw comb?
« on: April 27, 2013, 08:48:46 pm »
Just out of curiosity - what are the things that are necessary for bees to draw comb?  I have several frames that still need to be drawn out and was wondering what I should do to encourage this. 

Thanks -

David

Offline Steel Tiger

• Field Bee
Re: What do bees need to draw comb?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2013, 08:54:47 pm »
Food. They need to eat to produce wax.
 6-8 lbs of honey makes 1 lbs of wax.

Offline dfizer

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2013, 09:07:37 pm »
If its that simple then I think I'll feed some syrup - I need them to draw out some comb.  Would 1:1 syrup do the trick?

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2013, 09:08:45 pm »
They will draw wax as they need space. During spring buildup they want to expand the brood nest. So they build comb. During a flow,they need comb for storage, so they build. If conditions are right, feeding will stimulate them into expanding the hive. You have a slight tight rope to walk if your feeding syrup. You will need to make sure they don't backfill the broodnest and force a swarm. In the fall they will build little comb and drdicate the stores for overwintering.
1:1 is the best mix to simulate the nectar flow. Just be sure to remove the syrup if your planning on a honey harvest.

Offline Caelansbees

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2013, 01:28:37 am »
I'll spray the foundation down with syrup 1:1 and rotate them into the center of the hive. 

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2013, 01:36:19 am »
They need both full bellies AND heat.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Bees In Miami

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2013, 06:57:09 am »
dfizer...I wouldn't put the undrawn frames into the center of the hive...Just rotate/switch frames 1 and 2, and frames 9 & 10.  They will build them out!  1:1 is best for comb drawing....Just have fun! 

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2013, 09:40:31 am »
It is wrong idea to push bees to draw combs. I have never met a hive which does not draw combs.

They will do when they are ready.

In spring bees have enough job when they  try to take care their larvae.

Comb builder bees are special age. They are between 2 and 4 weeks old.
Language barrier NOT included

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2013, 11:42:18 am »
>They need both full bellies AND heat.

That's about it.

>It is wrong idea to push bees to draw combs. I have never met a hive which does not draw combs.
>They will do when they are ready.

Exactly.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beeslazy.htm#stopfightingbees
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline dfizer

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2013, 03:16:27 pm »
It is wrong idea to push bees to draw combs. I have never met a hive which does not draw combs.

They will do when they are ready.

In spring bees have enough job when they  try to take care their larvae.

Comb builder bees are special age. They are between 2 and 4 weeks old.

This is exactly the response I was hoping for.  I certainly don't want to push them to draw comb and kind of assumed that they'd draw in out when they were ready however if they needed food to get started I was going to provide it to them.  I am not going to do that now since "food" season is right around the corner.  We have dandelions all over the place blooming now so I feel certain that they will be finding plenty to eat. 

Thanks again to everyone for the patience and excellent responses to the inquisitions.

David