Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Cover Photo Needed for Beekeeping for Dummies II  (Read 6561 times)

Offline Howland

• New Bee
    • http://www.bee-commerce.com
Cover Photo Needed for Beekeeping for Dummies II
« on: August 07, 2008, 10:24:02 am »
My name is Howland Blackiston and I am the author of the book, "Beekeeping for Dummies". The Second Edition of the book is coming out in March 2009.

John Clayton took the current "Bee & Pollen" image, and it is great. It's an impactful close-up of bee with a rainbow of pollen colors in the cells.  A powerful image that grabs your attention!  But a new edition needs a new cover photograph.

I am inviting members of this forum to submit photos they think would make a great cover shot.  Ideally it would be unique, eye-catching and emote the joy and wonder of beekeeping. If selected, the "winning" image will grace the cover of the largest selling beekeeping book in the Nation. The photographer of the winning image will be awarded monetary compensation (to be determined by the publisher) and considerable bragging rights.

So, if you already have a great image, or wish to take a stunning photo for the cover, by all means go for it!  The winning image will be selected in October.

You can reach me at blackiston@sprynet.com

« Last Edit: August 09, 2008, 07:44:40 am by Howland »

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
Re: Cover Photo Needed for Beekeeping for Dummies II
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 01:35:54 pm »
Great post Howland and glad to see you in the forums. I'm hoping that our group here will take advantage of this unique opertunity and indeed it does have some wonderful bragging rights. Hope to see you in here more often, good luck everyone who participates.
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008, 07:28:13 pm »
I dont know about you guys but for me, but THIS is a real HONOR! I mean, what a priviledge to be a member of this forum then be invited by Howland Blackiston to take pictures for his book!
your friend,
john

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2008, 09:16:10 pm »
I agree, and we certainly have some wonderful photographers here. So come on beekeepers, come forth with your beautiful photos and send them to him.

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2008, 11:21:12 am »
whats the time frame? I have got to get to work!
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2008, 01:28:33 pm »
Howland, what a great offer, we have some fantastic photographers on our forum, it would be great if one of their photos was chosen for your book, yeah!!!  Now, how on earth do I go through thousands of photos to chose one from my selection, hee, hee,  ;) :) :) :)  I will be a busy girl!!!  Have the most wonderful and awesome day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2008, 01:02:37 pm »
Cindi:

Remember too that sending Howland a LINK to an online photo gallery will let him see hundred, maybe thousands of pic (imagine JPs collection) and that way YOU do don't need to think of what are good and bad, leave a bigger selection for Howland and you have a much better chance of having a photo that might fit the format and beauty of a Beekeeping book. Good luck all.
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2008, 01:07:50 pm »
John, oh no!!!  It seems every day that I need to learn more stuff, and believe me, that is a good thing.  Now I will have to figure out how to make an online image gallery to send Howland a link, as you said, let him be the judge of what is poor or good, thanks for that wonderful tip!!!  Have a beautiful, most wonderful day, we have that life!!!  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
  • I Pick; Therefore I Grin
    • Sean's Facebook Page
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2008, 04:43:21 am »
Has Howland made his choice yet?  I didn't see this post until today, but I emailed him a photo anyway.

Sean Kelly
"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2008, 04:47:19 pm »
I thought the new book was to come out in October or perhaps he said that was the deadline for making any changes. I am sure the photo has been picked.

Hope it was from someone from this forum. Heaven knows it wasn't any of mine.