Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: strong hive -weak hive  (Read 1294 times)

Offline garrooo

• Brood
strong hive -weak hive
« on: June 24, 2013, 12:40:31 pm »
I have a question concerning two hives  I have.  They are both packages that I installed in mid-April.  One is very strong, I had to add a super last week.  The other is third as strong, having only worked about 4-5 frames.  My question is can I take one or two frames (minus bees) from the strong hive to help the weak hive?  Or is this a mistake, should I just wait on the weak hive to develop?
Thanks for any input

Offline Psparr

• Field Bee
Re: strong hive -weak hive
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 01:26:06 pm »
From what I understand. You can add frames of brood. You could also swap places of the hives. The strong hives foragers will then enter the weak hive, strengthening it.

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 02:18:53 pm »
It i better tp look, if the 5 frame hive is sick.
 It should be much more bigger.

Look first the capped brood area. Is it even or full of how many percent empty cells..

It is very usefull to limit the hive roo as big as bees can cover frames. And not mesh floor in that size of hive-

Language barrier NOT included

Offline Steel Tiger

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2013, 12:01:21 am »
It could be a number of things. I installed 2 nucs two months ago. One took right off, building and growing. I added their 3rd box 3 weeks ago and they're ready for a 4th. A new medium every 3 weeks isn't bad.
 The other hive, while busy, wasn't really growing. I added a box 6 weeks ago when I added one to the other hive. I actually pulled drawn frames from the other hive and put them into the weaker hive to help them catch up. I checked on them today and they exploded in population. The box is completely built and they're ready for their 3rd one.
 You could have gotten a slow starting queen. Check the brood, if it's not a solid pattern, you may consider requeening.

anything