Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Luring a colony out.  (Read 1991 times)

Offline Kent J

• New Bee
Luring a colony out.
« on: June 05, 2010, 12:09:53 am »
Has anybody had any luck luring a established swarm out of a wall.  I have a old home of brick and a colony has set up home under a huge sandstone sill down into the wall.  There is no way for demolition to get them out.  The colony has been there around 3 years and the homeowner really wants them out.  :?

Any suggestion to luring the colony out of their cozy little home and to a trap or hive. 

Any help is appreciated

Kent :)

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Luring a colony out.
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 01:04:44 am »
can it be reached through the inside wall?
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 01:14:32 am »
As Kathy has pointed out, go in through the interior wall, if that is where the hive is located.

A colony that is of this age is sure to have a decent bit of honey inside the void space. You certainly do not want to leave that inside the wall.

Its best to do a cut out.

You will not lure this colony out.

If a cut out is not feasible, then hire Iddee to come and trap them out. It'll cost you though.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline glenn c hile

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010, 01:35:10 pm »
I have a similarm situation 150 year old brick house bue both the interior and exterior walls are brick so no way outside of chipping away at the brick to get them out.  Too many cracks to try and seal and do a trap out so I am at a loss outside of extermination.  You don't want to go that route but sometimes the bees make it impossible.  Also had a church with 2 brick walls with a new swarm in it but hundreds of escape routes.   Not sure why I get all these calls!

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2010, 01:52:24 pm »
better to leave the bees than to kill them and leave all the honey and junk in the wall.

just got a call from a lady who had something of the same.  i'm not going to do it because she was a whiny twit who made it clear that she expected it to be done for free, but i did try to talk her out of the can of raid that was her backup plan.

yeah...i know...i do cutouts for free, but not because someone demands that i do them  :evil:
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

anything