Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Greetings from new beek  (Read 1452 times)

Offline owlsplace

• Brood
Greetings from new beek
« on: April 20, 2010, 02:18:44 am »
New to beekeeping and had my first experience today. I built two top bar hives and was waiting to get my first bees.
I got a swarm call today. Thought I was getting lucky. It turned out to be a feral hive way up in a very old poplar tree.
It had a goose nest in it along with the bees. The geese were not happy campers. The owners thought the bees were yellow jackets and wanted them out.
I needed bees so I thought I would have a go at them. They were very mild-mannered Italians who suffered being vacuumed out of their home without complaint.
I didn't get any brood but I did get a little comb with nectar. I think they must have moved in at the end of last year's season.
I am baby sitting them till I can get a real hive started.
All and all, a good first day for a new beek.
Roger

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
Re: Greetings from new beek
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 01:58:47 pm »
Isn't your TBH a real hive??

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 02:40:47 pm »
did you get the queen?

can you put your location in your profile.  it will help when you have local questions later.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 07:34:18 pm »
Roger welcome to our forum, wonderful you found us.  We love new members.  As you can see you have already a place to tell your stories, tales and experiences, we all love to listen.  What a day to begin a new job, smiling -- keeping those honeybees.  That was quite the endeavour to get up and get those bees, good on you!!  Stick around.   You will find out how deeply you will soon be held beneath the spell of the honeybee, we all are and we be luvin' it!!!  Have that most beautiful day, full of love, sunshine and health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service