Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Help please!! More wax moth trouble!!!  (Read 23336 times)

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: Help please!! More wax moth trouble!!!
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2008, 11:10:49 am »
On Beesource, one of our members sells it cheap. 

He sells Xentari, and unless he has dropped his prices a lot,  you can get it cheaper elsewhere.

He use to have it advertised here too, until he got a littler over zealous
http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,6102.msg38299.html#msg38299

Your better off to find a distributor locally
http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,14183.0.html

$15/lb is sure better than $38.50/lb
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 09:46:17 am by Robo »
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Ross

• Field Bee
    • http://www.myoldtools.com
www.myoldtools.com
Those who don't read good books have no advantage over those who can't---Mark Twain

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2008, 11:25:10 pm »
I am in the process of registering now on that forum so I can order this stuff.  I have not read any posts though about being able to use this stuff in the hive with the bees. It appears it is really for storing the supers. Anyone have any experience of spraying it on the combs and then placing them back into the hives with the bees walking around on it??

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2008, 11:40:39 pm »
I am in the process of registering now on that forum so I can order this stuff.  I have not read any posts though about being able to use this stuff in the hive with the bees. It appears it is really for storing the supers. Anyone have any experience of spraying it on the combs and then placing them back into the hives with the bees walking around on it??

I do, and ask M.B.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2008, 11:55:03 pm »
I just sent him a PM.

But JP you actually removed the frames, then shook the bees off??? and then sprayed the frames both sides and than placed the frames back into hives and the bees just walked all around on them???

I guess my worry is it kills wax moths and some other insects. Why not bees???

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2008, 04:02:34 am »
I just sent him a PM.

But JP you actually removed the frames, then shook the bees off??? and then sprayed the frames both sides and than placed the frames back into hives and the bees just walked all around on them???

I guess my worry is it kills wax moths and some other insects. Why not bees???

Because only specific organisms like waxmoth larvae are affected, bees are not affected, BT is also used to control other larvae such as those from certain caterpillars and is used in overhead spraying from planes successfully for many yrs without harm to desirable insects like butterflies.

Do a few searches, the information is there.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2008, 11:45:57 pm »
OK!!

Meanwhile, I checked on this hive again today and they are doing much better. They are looking really good and I found the queen and she is laying really great now. Found many, many frames of fresh eggs and larvae. The bees are moving all around the hive now (before when the wax moths were in there, the bees were all crammed in on one side of the hive.) and I only found 1 frame with a wax moth larvae which I cut out with my hive tool.

I believe this hive simply had way to much room to protect for the population. What a lesson I have learned from this.

For now on, if I keep adding supers on top, then I must check down below and see what is happening in the supers down below. If they are empty, I must remove them or reverse them.

Thanks all. I am now waiting for that product which will be good to have on hand.

Annette

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2008, 02:19:55 am »
OK!!

Meanwhile, I checked on this hive again today and they are doing much better. They are looking really good and I found the queen and she is laying really great now. Found many, many frames of fresh eggs and larvae. The bees are moving all around the hive now (before when the wax moths were in there, the bees were all crammed in on one side of the hive.) and I only found 1 frame with a wax moth larvae which I cut out with my hive tool.

I believe this hive simply had way to much room to protect for the population. What a lesson I have learned from this.

For now on, if I keep adding supers on top, then I must check down below and see what is happening in the supers down below. If they are empty, I must remove them or reverse them.

Thanks all. I am now waiting for that product which will be good to have on hand.

Annette

Annette, that's fantastic news. Usually when you find waxmoths its too late for that hive, you must have caught them before things went past the point of no return, hurray for you!!!

...JP

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2008, 03:10:47 pm »
I hope and pray this is true!!! I will keep checking on them every few days to see.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2008, 08:00:54 pm »
If you only have a few frames of bees then you need to reduce the hive down until you only have that many in it (or only one box).  if you get down to one box and they still can't cover all the frames, then remove any combs and put in empty frames for the rest so the bees don't have to guard it.  Freeze them all, or treat with Bt.  But you still won't get it under control until you only have the number of frames the bees can COVER.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2008, 03:42:36 am »
On Beesource, one of our members sells it cheap. 

He sells Xentari, and unless he has dropped his prices a lot,  you can get it cheaper elsewhere.

He use to have it advertised here too, until he got a littler over zealous
http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,6102.msg38299.html#msg38299

Your better off to find a distributor locally
http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,14183.0.html

$15/lb is sure better than $38.50/lb

Only if you didn't have to buy 5lbs at once.  Although it would definately be worth it if a few of us went in together on it and split it, since it apparantly comes in five 1lb packages already, would be easy to do.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2008, 08:13:49 am »
since it apparantly comes in five 1lb packages already, would be easy to do.

I got mine as one 1lb. package, and I know a few others that did too.  Call and find a local distributor or inquire at a local ag store and see if they can get it.  You can definitely get one 1lb package.  Worst case you can mail order from a reputable seller like here -> http://www.hidhut.com/catalog/xentari-bt-p-31.html
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2008, 09:02:52 am »
If you only have a few frames of bees then you need to reduce the hive down until you only have that many in it (or only one box).  if you get down to one box and they still can't cover all the frames, then remove any combs and put in empty frames for the rest so the bees don't have to guard it.  Freeze them all, or treat with Bt.  But you still won't get it under control until you only have the number of frames the bees can COVER.

I don't think enough can be said about what Michael is saying.  I know that bees must be able to cover many frames in their colonies to look after things.  I have made these mistakes.  Important to not have a colony too filled with frames and areas where the bees cannot look after.  Follow his advice, it is good advice.  Have a most beautiful, wonderful day, this is the life to live.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2008, 09:02:50 pm »
Today I finally got caught up with my posts here and I believe that I will need to bring this hive down again to perhaps 2 medium supers until the wax moths are under control.

I went up to see how they were doing today and found a few wax moth larvae on the frames on the edges. I cut them out with my hive tool, but I can see that this will be an ongoing problem for a while.

I tried to register on Beesource to order that stuff, but having difficulty getting onto this forum. I used to be able to get on it, but not now. I do not remember my password or anything. I tried to re register, but keep getting e mails telling me to go to a certain link to register and when I get there, it starts all over again asking me the same questions. I will have to try again and see what I am doing wrong. I need to order this Bt stuff and spray it on the frames or I may continue to have trouble.

Annette

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2008, 09:13:20 pm »
Annette,

Call this number, 800-6-VALENT (682-5368) or go to the website http://www.valent.com/distributors/WTB.asp?industry=2

There is a good chance you can get it locally.

BTW,  keep it in a mouse proof container.   I had mice chew right thru the foil bag to eat it. :-x

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2008, 09:15:01 pm »
Annette,

Call this number, 800-6-VALENT (682-5368) or go to the website http://www.valent.com/distributors/WTB.asp?industry=2

There is a good chance you can get it locally.

BTW,  keep it in a mouse proof container.   I had mice chew right thru the foil bag to eat it. :-x

I called them and they asked me to leave a message which I did, but they never returned my call. I got the phone number off that web site.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2008, 12:25:36 am »
OK, just got onto the beesource forum and I am on my way to purchasing the powder.

Thanks for the help
Annette

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2008, 08:56:10 pm »
since it apparantly comes in five 1lb packages already, would be easy to do.

I got mine as one 1lb. package, and I know a few others that did too.  Call and find a local distributor or inquire at a local ag store and see if they can get it.  You can definitely get one 1lb package.  Worst case you can mail order from a reputable seller like here -> http://www.hidhut.com/catalog/xentari-bt-p-31.html

Ah, ok, good to know.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2008, 11:39:31 pm »
The guy from beesource already mailed me out the stuff and hopefully I will receive it soon. I squeezed them down to 2 mediums supers today and hopefully that will help. They really do have a good population and It would be hard to bring them down anymore.

I have been going in every few days and cutting out any infestations  I find. They are also patrolling and pulling them out as well.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2008, 08:59:57 am »
If your using SBB,  you might want to check under them.  This becomes a safe breeding haven for wax moths with all the food they need falling from the sky.   They are poised to expand into the hive whenever there is an opportunity.    Another negative of SBBs.

anything