Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Should I intervene and requeen my weak hive?  (Read 11132 times)

Offline kalium

• House Bee
Re: Should I intervene and requeen my weak hive?
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2014, 06:54:43 am »
Kalium,

There is nothing in the photos that is indicative of classic AFB.  However, there are a few concave cell caps which I would look at carefully.  Both EFB & also chalk brood can present that way.  With chalk brood the mummified larvae will be present at the front of the hive and also in the comb.  I couldn't see any but they could be there.  I would investigate the contents of the concave cells with a match.  EFB has a granular appearance and texture rather than being ropey.  It is also important just to poke the matchstick in and pull it out without twirling it around.  As you are aware AFB will usually rope.

The most conclusive diagnosis would be to take a smear on a slide & get it of to the lab.  If you go to the QLD DAFF website you can find info regarding sampling for diseases.

http://www.daff.qld.gov.au/animal-industries/bees/diseases-and-pests/european-foulbrood

In summary it is hard to tell from your photos.  Definitely crap brood.  Send a sample off to the lab for definite diagnosis.

Yes, I might just do that. Better than all this guess work  :)

You are a registered beekeeper I'm sure.

Good luck,

Yantabulla.

Yes, I may just do that, and send a sample off. Better than all this guess work  :) Thanks for taking the time to have a look as well, it's at least confirmed what I've been thinking lately, crap brood  :(