Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: how far do bees  (Read 2742 times)

Offline LEAD PIPE

• House Bee
how far do bees
« on: May 06, 2005, 02:13:37 am »
fly to find what they need? I have some apple trees about a half-mile away. I was wondering if they would go that far.

Also from time to time I come in contact with swarming bees. Any time one is see in town we get a call. I have seen several ranging from a 2' to about 6'. How hard is it to capture one?

Thanks

Offline SherryL

• House Bee
how far do bees
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2005, 07:52:34 am »
Can't help you with the swarm question as I've only captured one, and that was out of a pine tree about 10 feet from my hives, so it couldn't have been easier....

As for the distance bees will travel - quite a ways.  I've heard 3 miles, so yes, they will most definately find the apple trees.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
how far do bees
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2005, 10:30:08 am »
Depending on the accessability of the swarm, they can be quite easy.   A newly swarmed group of bees (not settled and built comb) are usually very mild because they have gorged themselves with honey prior to swarming in an effort to be prepared to produce large quantities of comb in their new location.

Put them 40 feet up a tree, in a wall, etc....  it can be a different ball game.

As far as bees travelling,  the general agreement  is 3 miles.  But remember, honeybees are selective (meaning they only work one type of plant at a time).  So even if your apple trees are right next to the hives,  if there is a "preferred" plant also in bloom and sufficient quantity,  they will ignore your apple trees.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline LEAD PIPE

• House Bee
how far do bees
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2005, 04:16:24 pm »
Thanks.

anything