Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: My Cheap, cheap solar wax melter works!  (Read 6228 times)

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
My Cheap, cheap solar wax melter works!
« on: June 17, 2007, 04:53:52 pm »
Last year in October I built a solar wax melter from a Styrofoam ice chest.  It cost next to nothing....$8.00 total.  The most expensive part was the glass top ($3.50).  To be fair, I already owned a Tupperware container, keep paper towels and string in my kitchen, and keep duct tape in my tool kit.  So if I had to buy all of those things, it would have cost more.

I found the plans on the Internet --->  http://www2.gsu.edu/~biojdsx/solmltr.htm

So I built it in October when the heat of the day isn't hot enough nor does it last long enough for the solar wax melter to work.
I crossed my fingers and saved it until this year.  I tried it today.  AMAZING!

If you want to see it at work, there's a slide show on my blog:

http://beekeeperlinda.blogspot.com/2007/06/today-im-trying-solar-wax-melter.html

Linda T in Atlanta, continually amazed by all the bee stuff there is to learn

Offline Patrick

• House Bee
Re: My Cheap, cheap solar wax melter works!
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2007, 02:12:16 pm »
Thank's Linda.  love it.

Offline Barngodess

• New Bee
  • Labradors RULE
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 11:05:15 am »
GREAT idea,., and it really really works !! thanks for sharing..... the slideshow and commentary was very educational !

Melissa
 ;)
Never say never......

Offline sean

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2007, 03:59:02 pm »
Great tillie, i did mine after i read your post and it works. I had asked but no-one responded, why paper towel?

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2007, 09:54:23 pm »
I did it because the instructions from Australia said to - but there's a real advantage - the wax filters through the paper towel and there is some wax that soaks into the paper.  When all is said and done, the paper towel is great for starting the smoker - I keep them in a plastic bag and use the wax infiltrated paper towel every time I start the smoker.

Another advantage of the paper towel is that it is recyclable and disposable - it's impossible to clean stockings, for example, which some people use for filters or other cloth - you have to throw it away after use.

Linda T in Atlanta

Offline sean

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2007, 04:40:01 pm »
ok fine. folks, you need to use good paper towels. Iused a cheap one the other day and it tore after the wax started to melt and everything fell into the container.

Offline randydrivesabus

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2007, 05:29:48 pm »
i used cheese cloth...i think window screen would work pretty good too. one thing about solar stuff...you need the solar for it to work and around here its been inconsistent.

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2007, 09:14:59 pm »
I've had 100% good results with Bounty - no torn towels, all successful - and I've used the wax melter about 10 times now.

Linda T in Atlanta

Offline Zoot

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2007, 11:27:19 pm »
Linda,

Great plans. The melter works perfectly. But since I'm a cabinet maker I couldn't resist making a reproduction of Brushy Mt's solar melter and I've since retired your model. The only real advantage to the bigger one is the bigger tray which seems to help seperating the pollen, honey and other impurities quicker. I still use bounty paper towels for a filter.

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2007, 01:55:47 am »
I like the my buddies got, its a nice meltr and works great
http://www.owensapiaries.net/wax_melter.htm
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2007, 01:44:07 am »
So nice to read posts that I have missed.  I just don't seem to get into all the forums that I know that I should go to, so many wonderful life events that occur and I seem to miss so many!!!!!  :) :(  Have a wonderful life, greatest of health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service