Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: cindi buckwheat ???  (Read 5341 times)

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
cindi buckwheat ???
« on: April 10, 2008, 10:29:01 pm »
i have my buckwheat seed.  i have read that buckwheat has no frost tolerance.  do you find this to be true?  if it is, i'll have to wait until mid may to plant  :-)  do you remember how long it takes to come up?
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Bigeddie

• House Bee
Re: cindi buckwheat ???
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 10:44:12 pm »
Yes it's true. Only takes several days if soil is warm to come up.
God bless Us all!!

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2008, 11:20:39 pm »
thanks. guess i'd better be patient.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Bigeddie

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2008, 11:53:08 pm »
It grows fast,once you get it in the ground it really takes off. Being patient is a good thing.  :-D
God bless Us all!!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2008, 11:17:23 am »
Kathy, oooh buckwheat is very tender.  You must be really careful with it, it will germinate in no time once the soil warms up.  (just only a few days).  Buckwheat comes into flower also really fast, so you have lots of time on your hands here.  Kathy, I think that from seed sowing to flowering is something so short, like maybe 6-8 weeks, you can have a continual crop of buckwheat right up until frost kill.

What you should do, girl, is save a good part of the seed and sow it every few weeks, like you do with the lettuces and crops that you want a full summertime fresh harvest of.  So, do that.  It will help to prolong the buckwheat growing season.  Come the fall Kathy, when the buckwheat seeds are maturing, pick the bunches.  You will see them growing in massive clusters, just grab them and put them into a great garbage pail or brown bags, dry the seeds out.  You will know when the seeds are fully mature because they will be brown as the dickens.  You can also begin to gather the seed when the seeds are not completely brown.  As with many annuals, the seeds can be picked long before they "look" fully mature (brown), they will ripen on their own.  You will see all summer long the brown seeds that will be on the plants, pick them, I encourage that strongly.

But remember too, as with many many annuals, those plants that you have, you will never in a million years get all the seeds.  You will have buckwheat on your property til the end of time itself.  Once you got it you got it.  Where I originally planted buckwheat it grows all on its own now.  I don't even sow that area.  I saved the seed and am starting new buckwheat patches all over my property.  It is a most beautiful plant and the flowers are born in enormous clusters that are something for the eye to behold.  You are gonna have some fun this year, Kathy, growing your beloved buckwheat, and think of that lovely honey that will go along with it, it will be a combination of buckwheat and wildflower I am sure, and it will be good.  If you have any more questions about buckwheat sowing, let me know.  Oh by the way, you don't have to cover the seed, it will germinate on its own.  If you have fears that the birds may get so much of it, brush some dirt over it to it is kind of hidden, but don't make that dirt covering deep, having light to germinate really helps it along.  Have the best of this beautiful day.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline DennisB

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2008, 04:25:15 pm »
Hey Cindi,
Does the buckwheat become invasive to other areas or will it stay pretty much in the area where it is planted? I have a small area 150ft be 50 ft that would be great for this, but am concerned that it will go to other areas where I have other wild flowers planted.

Thanks

DennisB

Offline jakston

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2008, 06:04:39 pm »
Buck wheat will not become invasive. it's an annual and has to come from seed.
Blooms in 3 to 4 weeks, until frost cuts it down.
jackston aka doak ;) ;)

Offline Bigeddie

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2008, 06:16:28 pm »
Buck wheat will not become invasive. it's an annual and has to come from seed.
Blooms in 3 to 4 weeks, until frost cuts it down.
jackston aka doak ;) ;)

Or you cut it down.  Not invasive in my part of the world.
God bless Us all!!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2008, 01:59:19 pm »
Dennis, I planted buckwheat seeds in a specific part of the earth on a hill infront of the apiary.  Every year the buckwheat comes up in that specific spot only.  Buckwheat seeds are big and heavy, I would define their size as about 1/2 the size of a pencil eraser.  That size of seed does not blow on the wind, birds may scatter it somewhat, but pretty much the buckwheat is a well behaved self-seeding plant.  If you find buckwheat growing in an undesirable spot, jut pull out the seedling, it pulls out very easily.  Beautiful and wonderful day in this great life.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline jakston

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2008, 02:33:06 pm »
good plant. :)
doak

Offline DennisB

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2008, 03:23:04 pm »
Thanks for the answer guys. I guess any co-op or farm store should have the seed. I have had the honey and it is dark and wonderful.

DennisB

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2008, 03:27:09 pm »
DennisB, my farm store had to order it for me.  it has fallen out of favor here as a crop.  if all else fails, you can order it online.  if you do a search you will find some online seed places that carry buckwheat listed.  i don't remember which forum section, so do a general search.