Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Swarm Caught  (Read 2571 times)

Offline gdog

• House Bee
Swarm Caught
« on: June 29, 2013, 05:09:49 pm »
Yesterday I picked up a swarm on a house and grass below. Home owners son got to the some bees with Black Flag before dad got home. Dad shut him down has a bit more common sense than the 19 year old. Didn't see any dead ones around. I collected a good two pounds all together. I don't think the queen is there because the bees were getting in behind the siding which tells me they may have set up shop.

what I did do was combine them with my weakest hive by adding a sheet of news paper adding slits to it and placing the bees inside the hive body. Does this sound good to you all? Going to pick up another one after work today in Mad city, Madison WI. Hope the queen is there a good size basketball.

Offline blanc

• House Bee
Re: Swarm Caught
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2013, 05:41:13 pm »
That should work for you and good catch.
Blanc
Psalm 19:9-10
The fear of the Lord is clean,enduring forever; the judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether.
More to be desired are they than gold, yea ,than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2013, 07:14:47 pm »
How far are your hives from where you caught the swarm?

Offline gdog

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2013, 11:44:13 pm »
I am about 12 miles from where they were picked up

Just got back from picking up my second swarm in two days. This was well worth the drive. Drove from Milwaukee to Madison. Caller said he had a swarm in his apple orchard about the size of a basket ball, that was his version. When I arrived he led me to the area and walking I was thinking there are no bees here. Finally he points them out and they are hidden amongst the leaves. This is a monster swam this is the size of a large oblong watermelon. Now this was worth the trip!!! They were on the tree in such a way that hitting a branch would not work. I planned for this scenario by bringing my bee vac but forgot my extension cord. Good thing the farmers could help me out. I sucked up bees for one hour as gently as possible. My guess the queen has to be in there cause I sucked up nearly all of them. Very gentel bees considering the stormy weather madison has been having  I will be setting the up in their new home in the morning. Thanks to all who have posted on how to do it helps greatly

My guess on weight is close to five pounds I will weigh the box tomorrow and find out.

Offline gdog

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2013, 12:26:31 am »
The newspaper combine worked great pulled the supers apart a week later and find they removed every bit of paper, a perfect shape of the super. I will try that again.  Made the hive bait stronger they are looking better.

Offline gdog

• House Bee
Re: Swarm Caught photos
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2013, 02:14:40 pm »
deleted
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 03:59:13 pm by gdog »