Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Beekeeping Survey  (Read 3069 times)

Offline wfuavenger

• House Bee
Beekeeping Survey
« on: February 08, 2010, 05:55:26 pm »
This is the original message from Dr. Wendy Schweigert:

I, along with Larry Krengel and a team of students from Bradley University (Peoria, IL, USA), am conducting research about beekeepers and their characteristics. The results of this research will be used to identify characteristics of those who choose to become beekeepers, to compare various subgroups of beekeepers with each other, and to compare other groups with beekeepers.

If you are 18 years or older and keep bees you are invited to be a part of this research by completing short anonymous survey about beekeepers. We are interested in new beekeepers as well as those who are experienced. Hobbyists, sideliners and commercial beekeepers are all invited to participate. The survey can be found at https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/9NSWHZ5
The survey will be available online until February 14, 2010.

If you have any questions about this research please feel free to contact me, Dr. Wendy Schweigert at: wendy@bumail.bradley.edu

Offline John Schwartz

• House Bee
    • The Bee Farm
Re: Beekeeping Survey
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 06:00:02 pm »
Very cool
―John Schwartz, theBee.Farm

Offline David LaFerney

• Field Bee
    • The Door Garden
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010, 09:33:41 pm »
Uh... why does your survey ask some questions many times?  Sorry but I bailed on about the 4th time it asked if I was religious or not.  Not that I mind answering that, but WT...  , and what does that have to do with bee keeping?
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Samuel Clemens

Putting the "ape" in apiary since 2009.

Offline homer

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2010, 09:59:26 pm »
Uh... why does your survey ask some questions many times?  Sorry but I bailed on about the 4th time it asked if I was religious or not.  Not that I mind answering that, but WT...  , and what does that have to do with bee keeping?

They're looking for trends, just like all research does...  No reason to take offense from it!

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2010, 10:24:32 pm »
I guess it is to see if every type of person still keeps bees. All type have always kept bees.
Read through the survey as I always do but as I always do, did not participate in surveys.

There are so many people or groups now days trying to find out what kind of people do this and that,
then once they find out your add, e-mail, etc. they pester the he** out for the rest of your life. Then after your gone they have your family to pester.MTCW :)doak

Offline wfuavenger

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2010, 10:46:55 pm »
that is why it is anonomus and it is a scientific study, not a marketing one. It also is not my survey. I was just trying to be helpful.

and if people would read the directions it explains WHY IT ASKS THE SAME QUESTIONS DIFFERENT WAYS!!!!!!!

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2010, 11:03:57 pm »
short and sweet.  do we get the results?

no private info asked for.  took about 5 min.  best they got is my ISP   :-)
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2010, 11:06:36 pm »
Hmmmm....I'm a pretty simple minded person...
I didnt read any directions :-D
I just did the survey cuz bees were mentioned!
I kinda thought that the questions were repetitious to see if I was making stuff up just to fill in the dots.
Now, I'm gonna go back and look at the directions!
your friend,
john

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2010, 11:15:16 pm »
hey Kathy!!! how'd you manage only your ISP???
 I filled in my address and Fone number! The directions said I didnt have to answer any questions I didnt want to. They requested my address and name and fone number because I was considered"Essential" in the success of this survey and that the Republican party wanted the info for issuing me my next drivers license, along with the issuance of my 7thousand dollar tax incentive program. And for 20,000, I gave them my SS number!...I cant wait till I get my check!..I'm gonna buy bee boxes!

your friend,
john

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2010, 11:24:47 pm »
you must be special!   :evil:
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2010, 11:41:33 pm »
Ohh, no no no Kathy....Youre much more special than me! I Love you!!!!
And I just dont LOVE anybody...Only special people!..Like YOU!

your friend,
john

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2010, 08:10:12 am »
OK did it!!

Offline Hemlock

• Field Bee
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2010, 10:55:45 am »
Took it.  It was an easy several minutes.  The repeat questions mark whether an individual is actually reading the questions or casually filling in the blanks.  It's a consistency check.

It would be nice to see their conclusion.
Make Mead!

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2010, 12:35:11 pm »
I started to take the survey because the first few questions were about bees. It seemed the questions changed over to recycling more than anything. I jumped out and did not complete it.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2010, 12:44:13 pm »
the survey isn't about bees.  it's about beekeepers.  any good survey asks questions in a number of different ways. a lot of job tests do the same.  this one was nice because it was short! :-)

Offline Eshu

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2010, 04:31:00 pm »
It is well established in psychological profiles that asking the same question worded several ways throughout a survey gives more accurate results.  Your true answer is essentially an average of your responses to the reworded question.  Some people are amazingly inconsistent when answering surveys.  Often this is done in much longer surveys and more elaborate rewordings so that it isn't nearly as obvious...

Offline melliphile

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2010, 10:15:58 pm »
I was happy to take an anonymous survey to further man's understanding of my favorite subject, bees.  Not sure why so many were so suspicious of it.  Lot's of survey research doesn't make sense to the subjects at the time. That's part of the deal.  If you saw the whole picture it may influence your response.
"Never discourage anyone who continually makes progress, no matter how slow." -Plato