Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Queen excluder with super?  (Read 2350 times)

Offline newbee07

• House Bee
Queen excluder with super?
« on: May 12, 2007, 04:05:42 pm »
I installed my supers last week and to find out i had ant in them like crazy. I also noticed no bees were in them. So i removed the excluder  and it has now been 2 weeks since i been back and am about to go in about 5 hours from now to see what i open into. Did i mess up or will the queen usually stay down within this period and should i install the excluder today when i go back if she is still down in lower body. By the way i am running single brood boxes with shallow supers. Thanks for any help.

newbee07

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
Re: Queen excluder with super?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2007, 07:14:09 pm »
A single shallow for a brood box? You might have more brood in the one you don't want the queen in then.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2007, 10:58:24 pm »
If you have a lot of ants in a hive, you have a very weak hive that is failing.  You need to reduce it down to small enough that they can guard what they have.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2007, 02:26:52 am »
Time for a nuc box.  Reduce the size of the hive to give the bees a chance then enlarge as they develop.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2007, 07:20:04 am »
If the supers you installed above the queen excluder had just foundation in them,  then I am not surprised the bees ignored them.    If you are going to use an excluder, you need something above it  to lure the bees thru it.  A frame or two of uncapped brood works nicely.   If you only have one brood chamber,  then it is very likely the queen has moved up and is laying in the supers.  If you want to run with the excluder, move the queen back down to the bottom and re-install the excluder. The brood she had laid in the supers will keep the bees above the excluder.  Once it hatches, the bees will continue to work above the excluder and you won't have any more brood up there.   

If your only running one brood chamber, you have to keep an eye on it more so that the queen doesn't get honey bound and run out of places to lay.  If you are located 5 hours away and don't get there that often, I would highly suggest having a bigger brood area.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

anything