Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Another hello from Arkansas  (Read 3102 times)

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
Another hello from Arkansas
« on: June 29, 2005, 03:21:52 am »
Hi from White County,

Though I'm just starting out, I've been fascinated by bees since I was a youngster in Minnesota (knock-on-wood never been stung).  My wife, we met during Desert Storm when she was activated in the reserves, is excited that I have shown an interest in actually doing something (I'm crippled up a bit) and my kids can't wait.  One daughter and a son are with me soaking up the show on RFD-TV 'Year in the life of an apiary and all the info I've found here so far.  Since I get absent minded and sometimes "lose touch" reading the beemasters journal for 2001 was even more incentive (I had never thought of a journal) to go ahead.  I took your advise and have let my neighbors and their neighbors know that I will have a hive (funny thing, they all asked about the honey and when it will be ready).  Some of the kids in the area are a bit destructive though and that worrys me.  Does anyone have any ideas?  Like the master I have a very limited amount of space and have thought of multi color paint job or a partial enclosure to hide the hive(s).  Barb wire and electric fences are not an option and city code is extremely strict on privacy fencing.    Thanks!  David.
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline Miss Chick-a-BEE

• House Bee
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2005, 09:04:38 am »
Hmmm
It would sorta help to know the lay-out of your property and what you have to work with. From your discription, I'm thinking you live in one of those communities where the rules for "outdoor stuff" is really strict.

Here's an idea.... what about building a special patio (possibly raised over 6 feet in the air?), and use the underside for storage.

Or maybe just some lattic around it in a nice way? Sorta blocking it, and making it noticable where no kids will run right into it?

Anywho.... welcome to the forum. :) We'll help you come up with some ideas if we can.

Beth

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2005, 03:06:36 pm »
You would be supprised, not even some of the most destructive kids will mess with a hive full of bees. :D
Ryan Horn

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
Lattice
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2005, 04:54:44 pm »
Thanks... I hadn't thought about the lattice... wind break also without stagnating the air.  As long as I set it up on a "temporary" foundation it should work.  Thanks

I don't know... these kids are the sort that would try something long distance, gives them a head start if you chase after them.

Thank you both!!!   David
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)