Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Terramycin Question  (Read 6958 times)

Offline Blackbird

• House Bee
Terramycin Question
« on: October 09, 2004, 04:13:32 pm »
The package says 200mg/colony.
The drug  is administered in 3 applications

Does that mean 200mg three times or 200mg divided over three treatments?
It seems like a stupid question but I just don't know.

Thanks,
Stacie

Offline Finman

• House Bee
Re: Terramycin Question
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2004, 05:24:15 am »
Quote from: Blackbird
The package says 200mg/colony.
The drug  is administered in 3 applications

Does that mean 200mg three times or 200mg divided over three treatments?
It seems like a stupid question but I just don't know.

Thanks,
Stacie

Do you have brood deseases? Brood area like  shot gun had gone bye?

Terramysin is better to give for brood 3 time every week. The sence is, that  larva + pupa take 3 weeks to develope. With 3 treatment all larvas and capped ones get antibiot.

Now it is autumn and it is rihgt time to give medicin if they need. It take 3 months to terramycin to go away from honey.

If you have much dead brood, take those frames away and burn them.

Anonymous

Terramycin Question
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2004, 02:49:09 pm »
Blackbird,
Assuming that you have the TSP (Terramycin Soluble Powder) in the 6.4 oz. package, apply as follows.
Mix 1 oz. of the TSP with 7 oz, of powdered sugar. Feed the bees 2 rounded tablespoons of the mix three times, four to five days apart, for a total 6 tablespoons. This is enough mix to treat two colonies three times each with a little left over.
If you have more hives you can mix the full 6.4 oz. TSP with 2lb, 7oz of powered sugar and feed the bees as described above. This will be enough mix to feed 16 colonies the required three times with a little left over.
If you have the TM-50D or TM-100D let me know and we'll work that out for you.

Offline buzz

• House Bee
    • My home page... nothing much
Terramycin Question
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2004, 04:03:40 pm »
I miix my terrimyicin with sugar water. Is this an ok method?
Scott
----------
"If you have no money and you have few possessions, if you have a dog you are still rich"
----------
"Forgiveness is easier to get than permission"

Anonymous

Terramycin Question
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2004, 05:42:51 pm »
Yes, provided you mix the same quantity of TSP into two quarts of syrup and the bees consume it in the same time frame (four to five days for each treatment). Terramycin breaks down more rapidly in sugar syrup than it does in dry form.

Offline buzz

• House Bee
    • My home page... nothing much
Terramycin Question
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2004, 06:49:43 pm »
The local bee store says to put 1 Teaspoon TSP in 1 gallon sugar syrup, and to do it twice in spring and fall. Is this enough?
Scott
----------
"If you have no money and you have few possessions, if you have a dog you are still rich"
----------
"Forgiveness is easier to get than permission"

Offline Blackbird

• House Bee
Terramycin Question
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2004, 12:45:14 am »
Thank You Carbide. That is exactly what I needed to know.  :)

Anonymous

Terramycin Question
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2004, 10:35:57 am »
Buzz,
Never having fed terramycin to my bees in sugar syrup I can't give you an answer directly,however if you bear with me for a minute I'll try to answer your question.
The TSP in the 6.4oz container is actually TM-25 which means that there are 25 grams of active ingredient per pound of material. Therefore there are 10 grams of terramycin in the 6.4 oz container. The recommended dosage is a total of 600 milligrams of terramycin per colony in the spring and fall treatments. Since you have 10 grams of active material in the container it is sufficient for 16-2/3 total fall or spring treatments (10 grams divided by 600 milligrams per treatment). If you divide this up into two treatments in the fall or spring, then you should make a total of 33-1/3 treatments out of the container.
If there are 33-1/3 teaspoons of material in the container, then one teaspoonful would be the amount that you feed your bees per treatment. If there are more than 33-1/3 teaspoons of material in the container then you would have to increase the amount per treatment accordingly. If there are less than 33-1/3 teaspoon of material in the container then you would have to lessen the amount per treatment accordingly.
I'm sorry for writing a book as an answer but as I stated I've never fed the TSP to my bees in syrup before and I don't happen to have a full container to figure out how many teaspoons of material are in one.
By the way, you should mix the TSP with a little bit of distilled (or boiled) water before you put it in the syrup since it's my understanding that it doesn't disperse well in sugar syrup.