Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Requeen in less than a day  (Read 4183 times)

Offline philinacoma

• House Bee
Requeen in less than a day
« on: March 09, 2011, 08:09:16 am »
Hey all,

I have a very hot hive that is desperate to be requeened. No probs except that it is a fair drive to get there and I don't want to do the drive 2 days running. What is the best way of requeening in one day?

Offline Countryboy

• House Bee
Re: Requeen in less than a day
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 01:11:25 am »
Kill the old queen, and give them a new queen.  Make sure they have eggs, so they can raise a new queen if they reject the one you give them.

Kill the old queen, and let them make a new queen.

Insert a queen cell in a cell protector and let the virgin kill the old queen and take over.

Kill the old queen, and do a newspaper combine with another existing colony (or nuc) with a laying queen.

You will have to decide what is best for your operation and the things you have to work with.  I would probably just take a nuc with me, kill the old queen, and do a newspaper combine.

Offline deknow

• Field Bee
    • Golden Rule Honey, LLC
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 01:21:18 am »
especially if their temperment is an immediate problem, you could split them up into nucs and requeen each one....the smaller colonies will not be so hot.

if you can't find the queen to pinch her, you can try running in virgins into each nuc (or the whole hive if you can afford for them to stay hot for some time).

you could also put a cell in a super, she will probably supercede the old queen.

deknow

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 01:25:20 am »
Hey all,

I have a very hot hive that is desperate to be requeened. No probs except that it is a fair drive to get there and I don't want to do the drive 2 days running. What is the best way of requeening in one day?

sounds like the thing to do is after the old queen is dealt with and you are installing the new queen is to
make sure the cage is utilizing the queen candy plug-and not just a cork-if you need to remove the cork to expose the candy -or perhaps there is no candy in the cage then make some candy from honey and powdered sugar so it is soft like taffy-and fill the opening that the cork was in-this will give you time for the bees to release the queen in an acceptable time frame for acceptance-in other words when you buy the queen make sure it has a candied cage plug-- :)  RDY-B

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 01:35:38 am »
If the hive give stings during insection, you may make a false swarm.

Move the hive and give a new empty hive on old siten. Then put there
one brood frame and other frames what you want.

Old bees from hot hive, which have localized the site, return in 3 days to the old place.
In the old hive you have very young bees and the queen. Now the queen is easier to catch.

You may meet difficulties to requeen it but the easiest way is wait one week and then the new hive has capped emergency queen cells. After capping bees accept the new queen very easy.

Language barrier NOT included

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
    • Nectar Meadows Apiaries
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 03:26:34 am »
What is a long drive?

You could do this.  Take all or some of brood frames and make anther colony with them.  Queens are excepted best by young nurse bees.  Go to bar and have a soda, some lunch, and b.s. with the locals for a bit.  Four hours later introduce queen in cage with candy.  Come back in a week, make sure new queen is there and laying, scrap off any emergency queen cells that may have been started, pinch old queen in other colony, leave queenless for a couple hours (optional), do a newspaper combine. 
The moment a person forms a theory, his imagination sees in every object only the traits which favor that theory

Thomas Jefferson

anything