Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: D.E for ground treatment of SHB..?  (Read 3676 times)

Offline CJ

• House Bee
D.E for ground treatment of SHB..?
« on: December 06, 2013, 11:53:58 pm »
Hi all,

Quick question for you all;

On top of keeping our hives as condensed and strong as we can and in as much direct sunshine as we can, we also have 2 x SHB traps filled with oil in the top of all our hives which seem to be working quite well (even without different vinegars as an attractant). On top of this we are using a 1:5 mix of liquid laundry detergent and water, which we are pouring onto the ground from under the hives up to about 2m out from the stands once a week to try and knock down the pupating grubs in the soil - from what we can tell this seems to be keeping the SHB numbers in check.
My question is can we spread D.E (diatomaceous earth) around the ground in the same fashion as the detergent mix (I am sure I have herd this somewhere but I cant find it - only information on its use in traps within the hive)?? Purely from a time and cost perspective as I think the D.E would last a lot longer between applications.
We would like to remain as organic in our approach as we can.

Thanks in advance for all your help and advice  :-D

CJ

Offline kanga

• House Bee
Re: D.E for ground treatment of SHB..?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2013, 06:49:57 am »
CJ,
Have a read of this article it may answer your question.

http://www.dirtdoctor.com/Diatomaceous-Earth_vq21.htm

Kev

Moots

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2013, 08:51:01 am »
CJ,
Yes you can....I want to say the first time I saw this suggested, it was by Don Kuchenmeister aka "the FatBeeMan".  Not sure if you're familiar with Don or not, but he has a ton of YouTube videos and a pretty big following.

I've actually used DE a couple times around my hives to try and get the Chiggers under control...they were wearing me out.  :laugh:

However, if you get a good rain, you'll want to reapply...

Another option is to attach a small makeshift container filled with soapy water, with #8 mesh covering it to protect your bees, just beneath the front of your hives to prevent the Larva from ever making it to the soil. This will also allow you to monitor exactly what you have coming out of each hive.

Good luck!

Offline capt44

• Field Bee
  • If it don't work I'll always think it should have
    • RV BEES
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2013, 10:25:25 am »
I used DE around my hives, it worked but everytime it came a good rain I had to retreat the ground.
DE is pricey around here.
I tried using GuardStar ground drench but I couldn't see it was doing anything and it's expensive.
I've used different traps, Beetle Blasters work to some effect, but the best trap I've seen is the Beetle Barn.
Now the Screened bottom board with the oil tray works very good. But again expensive if you have a lot of hives.
Richard Vardaman (capt44)

Offline CJ

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2013, 07:37:03 pm »
Thanks for the article Kev. I never realised it had such broad application possibilities!  :)

Moots; I love the Fat bee man! His YouTube channel has been instrumental in us getting into beekeeping without disaster I think!

My only other concern is; will it cause damage to my bees when they land in the grass around the hives?

capt44; we have just started replacing our standard bottoms with slotted ones from Nuplas, with the intention of using oil trays underneath as well. But as you say - it's not cheap!

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2013, 08:29:34 pm »
In the trays under the SBB, I switched to water with a cheap dish washing detergent.  It is easier to clean and cheaper, in hot weather you may have to add water.  Has bee working OK for me.  Good luck to you and your bees.

Joe