Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: honey straining methods  (Read 5134 times)

Offline kdm

• House Bee
honey straining methods
« on: June 20, 2012, 09:22:00 am »
I have in the last few years been straining the honey through a nylon stocking. I use a new one to keep out toe jam. My tank is 38 in. from the floor. I clamp it to the ball valve and put a 5 gal bucket under it. When the honey starts flowing the sock will stretch to the bottom of the bucket until you cut off the flow. works on warm [room temp.] honey.

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
Re: honey straining methods
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 12:04:36 am »
After extruding the honey into a 5 gal bucket I let it sit for a couple of days.  Then dip of the cappings off with a big spoon with holes in it.  I then put a 5 gal paint strainer over a clean bucket and pour honey from another bucket into that one. I don't have a vat or tank yet.  I did get some big stainless wire mesh strainers the other day plan to try next time.  Good luck.

Joe

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 06:06:07 pm »
Never over look the value of adding a little toe jam flavor to the honey.     :-D

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2012, 04:32:50 pm »
Never over look the value of adding a little toe jam flavor to the honey.     :-D

Nothing like some Toe Jam Honey and Buttered Biscuits..

Offline saperica

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2012, 05:39:18 am »
Hi you can use a small fruit/grape press for this pourpose. google "konstantin kirsch honig presse" from there i see this method. of course in Germany they have a raw honey that call "presst honig" and that comes from whole year honey ghatering in skeps on virgin foundations.

Offline kdm

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2012, 08:32:32 am »
The honey has been extracted and in a settling tank before straining.

Offline kdm

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2012, 08:57:21 am »
Allenf & volunteerk9 you thank toe jam honey has a flavor, i once drove a swarm of bees from Ark to Il & the queen crossed with a tumble bug and you know what the honey flavor was like. had to put them down,

Offline beehappy1950

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2012, 07:38:34 pm »
Good one KDM. Ha.

Offline Oblio13

• House Bee
    • Philosophizing with a Hammer
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2012, 11:02:29 am »
I usually just harvest a frame at a time, when my wife says we're out of honey. I hold the foundationless frame over a big bowl, cut it out and let it plop in, then cut it up with a knife. The goal is to cut every cell. Then I spoon it into a Mason jar, and tape that jar over another with a piece of window screen in between. Put them in the sun for a few hours and you have a jar of strained honey and a jar of wax ready to be melted.

Offline yockey5

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2012, 01:15:50 pm »
Kinda need.

anything