Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Do you use a wind boards ???  (Read 7606 times)

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
Do you use a wind boards ???
« on: July 04, 2012, 12:51:08 pm »
Do you use a wind boards ???
This is Merrimack Valley Apiaries use them

http://mvabeepunchers.com/
https://www.facebook.com/mvabees

"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
Re: Do you use a wind boards ???
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 03:26:36 pm »
To much jacking around trying to keep them pointed into the wind. Not for me, thank you.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 07:41:19 am by tefer2 »

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 07:47:16 pm »
I've made a few and like to use them when it's cooler out. During hot times I find that they don't work much better than regular ol' fume boards.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 08:56:14 pm »
May be a little cooler in Eastern New York then FL. HEHEHE

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
    • Nectar Meadows Apiaries
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 02:12:45 am »
Wind Boards?  Whats the purpose, how do the work?
The moment a person forms a theory, his imagination sees in every object only the traits which favor that theory

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2012, 07:56:55 am »
Wind Boards?  Whats the purpose, how do the work?

Did you look at the  Pix ???

You use a fume board and put  Bee-Go on at and put a Wind Board on the top you face the elbow in to the wind use to clear the bees out of the honey supers. Make fume board work on cooler days. If you have a few 1.000 hives you can not wait for the weather. Only if you are in the sun belt you are.

:lau: :lau: :lau: :lau:

Chinese Proverb

John F. Kennedy

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2012, 09:03:28 pm »
yes i looked at pic just was not sure if it was used to help fumes or some other weird concept but it did give me am idea
The moment a person forms a theory, his imagination sees in every object only the traits which favor that theory

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2012, 10:39:08 pm »
I couldn't see anything in that pik that would make one know what anyone was talking about.  I can imagine I see something now, but really can't decipher much.  Is it fun to denigrate people?

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2012, 07:45:12 am »
The white colored 90 degree stove pipe looking things on top of the hives. Hard to see if you don;t know what your lookin for.

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2012, 09:12:02 am »
The white colored 90 degree stove pipe looking things on top of the hives. Hard to see if you don;t know what your lookin for.

PVC pipe elbow (about 8" or so)
        Chinese Proverb

John F. Kennedy

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2012, 09:58:03 am »
Yeah, I see the piping. And I know what they are. But for a first timer seeing this all for the first time, and especially since they are all pointed in different directions, I can't see how any first timers would come to the conclusion of what they are, what they are used for, and answer any other question.  :-D

For those not wanting to build or buy this very ineffective piece of equipment (only to be used on days with an actual breeze), I find it useful to puff smoke lightly at the front entrance. The bees naturally will try blowing the smoke back out the door. And this sucks in air from the top.

Of course this does none of this will work, for those using nothing but top entrances.  :roll:
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2012, 12:04:34 pm »
Of course this does none of this will work, for those using nothing but top entrances.  :roll:

Do you now of any beekeeper that runs a few 1,000 hives using top entrances ???

Do you harvest honey by using smoke ???

Do you use bee blowers ???

http://youtu.be/o0eHteLmpKQ

« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 12:45:01 pm by Jim 134 »
        Chinese Proverb

John F. Kennedy

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2012, 06:50:50 pm »
Not sure your reasoning for the questions.  :?

But to answer your questions, No, partly, and No.

My comment was to point out that using bee boards, and yes, I have seen hobbyists use them, is not feasible with top only entrances. On this forum, all types of ideas are discussed. Why divide something into groupings of what migratory or big operations do, when ideas may or may not be suitable for any or all beekeepers, or applies to none.

I don't usually use much more than smoke. But I also use the knowledge that when supers are filled and completely capped, and you do smoke bees, they run to open cells to gorge themselves. This is what bees do when you smoke them. So by smoking the bees, they will run out of the supers as they are seeking open cells.

Of course this will not work for those supers with brood, or areas with open cells. But if you manage you bees properly, and even have the knowledge to get effective use from queen excluders, it really takes little effort to take completely filled and capped supers off the hives with little attached bees.

Many beekeepers smoke their bees, encourage them to seek open cells to gorge from, and then wonder why they have problems clearing bees out of supers, even with fume boards, all the while having open cells in the supers. Bees will cling to supers and ignore smoke and even fume boards after a beekeeper just signaled a coming fire. Smoke gets one reaction, and it sometimes is a bit harder to over rule this instinct, 30 seconds later, by getting them to react to another instinct by asking them to clear supers.

www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2012, 12:14:51 am »
 IMHO You do not want to bring a knife to a gun fight and You need the right tool for the right job.

Chinese Proverb

John F. Kennedy

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2012, 12:20:31 am »
I use an extractor to harvest honey!

Thomas Jefferson

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2012, 06:21:51 am »
IMHO You do not want to bring a knife to a gun fight and You need the right tool for the right job.

Once again....I have no clue what your point is.  :?

www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org

Offline RABray

• New Bee
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2012, 10:05:27 am »
I started looking at the picture and had no idea what a wind board was. I then read the sectioning ridiculing the person who did not understand what they were so I again looked at the picture and came to the same conclusion; I  had no idea what they were.

I guess I'll go back over to the forum I usually hang at....