Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: That's not what the book said...  (Read 2624 times)

Offline Apis629

• Field Bee
    • A Hobbyist's Beekeeping Adventures
That's not what the book said...
« on: June 25, 2005, 01:46:01 pm »
In beekeeping for dummies it specified to feed the bees for eight weeks but, I'm only in the begining of my third and the bees have stopped taking it.  Did I do something wrong?

Offline AdmiralD

• House Bee
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2005, 02:31:47 pm »
In beekeeping for dummies it specified to feed the bees for eight weeks but, I'm only in the begining of my third and the bees have stopped taking it. Did I do something wrong?

Nah...you're in the middle of a nectar flow and the bee's prefer the nectar to the sugar water.

Some of the more experienced beekeepers will tell you to feed only one week. Some say not at all. I say get to know your bees...! If they have not drawn out the comb,  feed them the sugar water, as it will stimulate the nurse bees to produce wax. If that only takes one week, and then they are in the middle of a nectar flow, then hey, you can quit for the time being...You might want to keep a bit of sugar water if there is a dirth of nectar, which depends upon the geographical location of where your bees are...In some parts of Idaho, there can be a 2 week period in late summer/early fall where the nectar sources dry up....I am not sure about the west coast....yet.

Offline Apis629

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2005, 10:08:54 pm »
oh, Ok.  So no need to worry then...great.  Thanks for the reply.

Offline TREBOR

• House Bee
    • The Cynical Bastards
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2005, 01:00:57 am »
Hey,
  just a thought, did you check your feed to see if its still fresh?

Offline Apis629

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2005, 01:47:05 am »
I was worried so I replaced the feed with a fresh batch and they were taking it at about the same pace as the origional feed.

anything